Male or female gourami

Connershawzz

Mbuna lover
Joined
Apr 14, 2024
Messages
230
Reaction score
204
Points
43
Location
Vineyard utah
My buddy just got his fish after I gave him my old tank , he wants to breed dwarf gourami , he already has one , I’m pretty sure it’s a female but I want to make sure before I tell him to get get the wrong gender picture below!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3458.webp
    IMG_3458.webp
    176.7 KB · Views: 152
It’s a female! See how her dorsal fin is rounded at the end? Males have a longer, pointed Dorsal fin - I have attached a photo of a male for reference. Beautiful fish ☺️
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6629.webp
    IMG_6629.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 100
It’s a male. Female dwarf gouramis are much less colorful. Unfortunately, they’re almost never found in shops, and most people have never even encountered them before. They’ll look for the slightest difference in fin length and pronounce the one with the shorter fins to be a female when in fact it’s a male.
 
It's a young male. Females, of all the colour varieties, don't have red stripes. It also has the classic male body shape.
 
Last edited:

Most reactions

Back
Top