Male Guppy Swimming In Place

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jodhafish

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My aquarium is about 11 days old.  I started with 6 fish: 2 male guppies; 2 female sunset platties; and 2 panda platties (one male and one female). Within the first two days, first the female panda platty and then one of the sunset platties died.  But since then all of the remaining ones have been doing okay.  Since yesterday, one of the male guppies (who is the life of the tank normally) started to swim in the same spot (he's wiggling but not moving) near live vegetation that I added.  He will leave the spot to go eat but then returns to the same area.  The other male guppy appears to be imitating him (he generally is always by the other guppy's side and doing the same thing), but right now is swimming on his own. 

This morning I tested the water and it appeared to be high in ammonia.  I use one of those ammonia testers with a test tube and the solution color was greenish. I just added an ammonia neutralizer tablet to the tank to lower the ammonia, but other than that I can't think of anything else that might be the problem.  The water is otherwise okay as far as ph (between 7 and 7.5) and no signs of nitrate or nitrite yet.

anyone has an idea of what's going on?  is there something special about the area near the live vegetation?

all responses are appreciated.

thanks

Several things need answering before we can go any further with advice for your fish.

Is your tank cycled? 
Read this first if you have not already done so http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

And have you done any water changes?

What test kit are you using?
If it's the strip test kit, not good, as very unreliable.
Much better off with a liquid test kit, API FW Master Test Kit is popular.

The size of your tank will help as well.

Is your tank planted with live plants?

Once these are answered, we then can start to work something out of whats may be going wrong in your tank.

Thanks for your reply.  No my tank is not cycled yet.  It's 10 gallons.  I did two small (10%) water changes, the last being two days ago.  When I do the water change, I use tap water, add water conditioner, API stress coat, and API quick start in the appropriate proportions and then I let the water stand for about an hour before adding it in.  The tank is not planted with live plants, but I have one real plant in the tank.  The test kit I use for testing the ammonia is the API ammonia test kit, which comes with a test tube and two solution bottles.

also, it might be helpful to mention that the guppy is swimming in an oblique direction (head up).

You need to do much higher water changes, at least 50% every day or more.

You are affectively doing a fish in cycle, much harder work and mistakes will surely affect your fish.

Also need to get test kits for nitrites, nitrates at least, these are toxic to fish, so knowing your levels will help a great deal to know what is happening in your tank.

Sounds like ammonia poisoning thats affecting your fish. Not good. Do a big water change as soon as you can.

Do read about fish in cycles, that will help you understand whats going on.

The best thing you can do right now is to read the green link in my signature area - it deals specifically with your situation.

As per Charlie above, your fish are suffering from ammonia poisoning. This is why the two platies died, and your guppy is going the same way. You need to keep ammonia (and nitrite) levels down as close to 0ppm as possible, otherwise you'll suffer further deaths.

Read that article, and if you need further advice, please ask.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back