Male Betta Tearing Its Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

anisa

Reaction score
One of my betta fish suddenly started picking on its tail. First I noticed that his tail became way shorter over a night. I looked closer - He actually chases his tail (like a dog) and pulling on it. Its is not fin root, doesn't look like he has parasites. He eats well and builds nests. Could it be that water temperature is too high? Right now we have here in Kansas 87F, and I don't run air conditioner in a room with better. He doesn't have much left of his tail right now :( Could somebody tell me what it is and, more important, how to stop it. Thanks!

There are lots of reasons for a betta to bite his tail. Some do it from boredom. Some do it when under stress. Some people think it could even be genetic. I would say that that temp is too high and is definitely causing some stress. Is there no way to run at least a fan in the room that has the betta? I'm in Ks also and I've had to unplug some of my cheaper heaters, but I run the ac so the temp doesn't get too high for my fish. As far as getting the fish to stop biting himself....Try to bring the temp down (do it gradually, though) and try changing up his scenery a bit. To get his tail to heal add in some aquarium salt and some bettafix and keep his water super clean. I have a tail biter. I tried everything to get him to stop biting his tail. I moved him to a larger tank, changed his scenery, changed his food...everything. Nothing worked until one day I sat a jar that was housing a female in front of his tank. I had just pulled her from the spawning tank and she was healing up a bit before going back to the sorority tank. Well, Troy (my tail biter) was suddenly full of life! He was zipping around and even started making a bubblenest! He quit biting his tail. When that female went back to the sorority tank, I put another girl in front of him. As long as I keep a girly around him then he doesn't bite himself. I periodically change which girl is by him so he doesn't get bored and now his tail is halfway grown back and he's looking better than ever! So, I would def. lower the temp, make sure there's nothing else stressing him out, and then try to find something that stimulates your betta. Different tank, different ornaments, some new plants, or maybe a pretty girl to flirt with :hey:

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely try to lower the temperature - if it is too hot for me, must be too hot for him as well. Also will put different plants next time I change water. I already placed different objects around betta tank for him to look at. I will think about getting a female. I don't want to bread bettas so I wonder if it would be ok for a female never actually "meet" a boy fish?
dmarie04 - I visited your website - it is really cool! Thanks for sharing your knowledge about bettas and website looks really nice. I have some betta pictures - maybe you would be interested.
Thanks again!

Try to get the temp down to 82 at least. I wouldn't keep a betta in water above 82 unless breeding. Once all stress is relieved then you can try introducing some stimulating items...the new plants and such. You don't necessarily have to buy a female. Maybe try a mirror for a little bit each day. He'll have fun flaring at the "other betta"!

Thanks for the compliments on my website. I work on it and add stuff to it and tweak it up a bit whenever I get the chance. This weekend I'm working on adding some fish to the stock page. If you'd like to send me a picture of your betta to use on my website, I'll sure let ya! LOL

anisa good luck with sorting out your fish's tail biting. It must be very stressful to see him damage himself like that.

Wow what a solution to your Betta's problem dmarie04. Sounds like he's quite the ladies man. I'm gong to go and have a look at your site now.

Yes, It is stressful to watch my fishy ruin its beautiful tail. Hopefully we will get this problem fixed. Thanks again, dmarie04!!

UPDATE -
He stopped plucking his tail! And it is growing back nicely. I changed plants in my "bad boy's" tank. Lowered the temperature in the room. And I am keeping changing the surroundings. He is not getting a girlfriend. But Fluffy seems pretty happy anyway - making bubble nest and swimming around all puffed up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back