Male Betta keeps resting on bottom of tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Potterm97

Reaction score
Long story short The Walmart in my town got in a shipment of bettas meant for another store and I wanted to rescue one of them from starvation. I did not know about the nitrogen cycle and put the betta in the tank the day I got him. I started doing research realized i mess up and started checking the water daily and changing it whenever the levels start getting too high.

He is in a 10 gallon tank with a heater, filter and his water temp stays are 76.

I've noticed he will swim around for a while and be active but then will rest on his stomach on the bottom of the tank. He doesn't do it often, maybe 4 or 5 times a day, normally he hides in a tall plant.

Is this a normal behavior or is there something wrong with him? I'm worried about him dying because I didn't cycle the tank, but I'm doing everything I can to prevent that.

Do you have test kits for the water? Are you doing water changes? If you don't have test kits yet, you'll need to change half the water, every day, as you don't know what the levels of ammonia and nitrite might be.

How strong is the current in the tank?

Can you post a close up photo of the fish please?

I would bump the water temp up to 80f

I did a 25% water change and gave him some food and he perked right up and has stopped doing it now. My heater is keeping the tank at 78 now (It doesn't go any hire) . I bought a better test kit and the levels are

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.5
Ph 7.4

I'm doing a 20-30% water change every other day now and he's doing much better.

Last edited:
kevin.jpg

My phone is a potato sorry for the poor quality

I would do 90% water changes daily. Feed little once every two days. Try to keep ammonia at 0 after a water change. Dont let it go above 0.25ppm. Use Prime if you are in the US or if funds allow (it is expensive when exported). Or source a water conditioner that converts ammonia to ammonium so you will still be able to test for ammonia but ammonium is fas less toxic and still feeds beneficial bacteria in your filter

To combat nitrites use a cheap bottle of bioloical booster. Buy it beforehand so that you can use it as soon as you see nitrites

Test ammonia and nitrites daily until both are 0 and you are getting some nitrates. Then do 30-50% weekly water changes

Dont clean the filter (in used aquarium water) until you are getting 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites for at least a month

Hi.

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0.5

The only safe level for ammonia is zero, Is your tank cycled?

I'm doing a 20-30% water change every other day now and he's doing much better.
Do 50%

Prime is over rated in my opinion.
1. Prime will bind ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for 24-48 hours. At which point, if they are still present, will be released. Of course, we are more concerned with ammonia and nitrites, rather than nitrates.
http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/1803-prime-questions

Is there any chance of a close up photo of his abdomen?

While you have your phone handy can you please post a photo of the tank?

Just to be clear, you are using tap water?

The tank is not cycled. we got him before we learned about the nitrogen cycle. so now i'm trying my best to keep everything 0 while doing a fish in cycle.

I just did another 50% water change, and yes I am using tap water and adding a water conditioner to it.

I'm not too keen on adding prime, I've read its kind of a crap-shoot if it works or not.

The part about him not being active and resting on the bottom of the tank is normal for betas because they usually are not active fish. Think about it.... when you bought your beta from the store do you remember how he was at the bottom of the cup or bag he was in?! The ones at my pet smart and and its just because they are not very active fish. It is normal for them to rest at the bottom of the tank. My old beta would stay at the bottom of the bowl alot and i would think he was dead but when i picked up the bowl he moved and swam around. Its just the way they are. The are very pretty but not very active

The part about him not being active and resting on the bottom of the tank is normal for betas because they usually are not active fish.
That is not correct, Bettas are very active fish.

I am still waiting for a close up of the fishes abdomen.

That is not correct, Bettas are very active fish.

I am still waiting for a close up of the fishes abdomen.

After getting better test kits I figured out he was doing it because the ammonia was over 1ppm. it's happened one time since i originally posted this and after a water change he was fine. The good news is my tank is finally getting done with it's cycle and the ammonia is staying closer to 0 in-between water changes.

as far as the photos of the abdomen go. because of where the tank is at and the lighting I couldn't get any good ones but I tried. are you thinking it looks like ick?

No, I just wanted a better pic of his belly because it looks like he may bloated in your original post. Its hard to tell from that photo

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back