Male betta fish is lethargic, black gills, breathing heavily and unable to swim properly.

aquariumlove

Reaction score
My male betta suddenly was afflicted with illness. I believe it is due to ammonia, I checked it and the levels were high. Despite previously checking it (I do weekly cheeks) and it being fine. I performed a 50% water change and added ammonia detoxifiers. Also, he is being treated with an all natural immune system booster. I have an ammonia remover and stabilizer coming today. Any advice? Could he possibly have swim bladder?? Or is it ammonia poisoning?? My poor baby I just really want him to get better. Sucks seeing him in pain

Attachments

• E918884A-6F6E-4860-BD27-44C3C05CF9C3.jpeg
    E918884A-6F6E-4860-BD27-44C3C05CF9C3.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 437
My male betta suddenly was afflicted with illness. I believe it is due to ammonia, I checked it and the levels were high. Despite previously checking it (I do weekly cheeks) and it being fine. I performed a 50% water change and added ammonia detoxifiers. Also, he is being treated with an all natural immune system booster. I have an ammonia remover and stabilizer coming today. Any advice? Could he possibly have swim bladder?? Or is it ammonia poisoning?? My poor baby I just really want him to get better. Sucks seeing him in pain
He has moments where heā€™s able to swim fine but itā€™s not for very long. Also heā€™s not eating either.

He has moments where heā€™s able to swim fine but itā€™s not for very long. Also heā€™s not eating either.
turn up the bubbler i think that may help maybe he isnt getting enough oxygen

@aquariumlove probably swim bladder disorder, but first many questions to answer :
- did you cycle your tank ? (I'm afraid of the reply...)
- tank sizes
- tank temp
- tank setup
- tank parameters (in numbers)
- what food, how much
- clear overall pics of your tank and fish

No need to add a bubbler. Betta are labyrinth fishes that breathe air at the surface.

If there is any ammonia or nitrite in the water, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until the levels are 0ppm.

How are you cleaning the filter?

What is in the stuff you are adding to the tank?

@aquariumlove probably swim bladder disorder, but first many questions to answer :
- did you cycle your tank ? (I'm afraid of the reply...)
- tank sizes
- tank temp
- tank setup
- tank parameters (in numbers)
- what food, how much
- clear overall pics of your tank and fish

No need to add a bubbler. Betta are labyrinth fishes that breathe air at the surface.
ok!
the lungs changing color in other fish is a sign of too less oxygen :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back