Male angel not fertilizing the eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It's not hexamita or capillaria.

just get a broad spectrum fish medication that treats fungus, bacteria and protozoan infections.

Ok I will. Did a big water change and I'm heading to the pet store now. Anything else I can do?

Ok, I have medicated the tank. Now I'll just hope for the best.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Thanks for that info. I did a big water change and have an airpump. I also got it measured the way you say. I really hope he's gonna get better! The filter only has biomedia and a sponge, so I'm leaving it. Should I remove the white unfertilized eggs? They don't seem to have plans on eating them.

you can leave the eggs for a bit, It will give the female something to do for a few days while the male gets treated.

Something else, do I put in medication several times, or just once? It didn't say anything about it on the package. It's sera costapur. When should I add more?

According to Doctor Googly on the interweb thingy, the normal dosage for Sera Costapur is:

add 1 ml or 22 drops per 40 litres of water on the first and the 3 Day of the cure. In strong cases add also at day five and seven. Do not use UV sterilisers or filter carbon during the medication. A small increasing of the temperature with aeration of the aquarium water accelerates the process of healing. 50 ml sufficiently for 800 l water.

---------------------
No idea who writes this stuff but their gramma is like mine after lots of drinks.

---------------------
There should be a piece of paper in the box that contains the instructions. If not then dose it every second day, days 1, 3, 5 and 7.

Wipe the glass down and do a 90% water change and gravel clean the substrate before retreating the tank.

Remove carbon during treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence.

You don't have to turn up the temperature.

---------------------
Wash hands after handling the medication or working in the tank because it is pretty toxic. It contains Malachite Green, Formaldehyde and something else. Both of these chemicals kill protozoan infections and the male should get better within a few days.

*NB* Malachite Green is a known carcinogen (causes cancer) so keep it away from children and animals and wash hands with soapy water after use.

Keep medication in a cool dry place, away from sunlight so it doesn't break down too quickly.

Day 2 update and I'm still a bit worried. He doesn't show any signs of improvement and wanting to eat, and I'm pretty sure he has some kind of fungus. There was a couple of uneaten food granules from yesterday that I removed now, but they have some kind of white fungus on them. He also has a bit of a white lip, and I'm fearing cottonmouth, but it's not cotton-y, just a bit of white. Should I keep cool and wait for the costapur to take effect, or should I get another med? I was also recommended ectozone.

I have never heard of ectozone and Dr Googly says it is a cream/ ointment used for humans.

I wouldn't add anything else, just give the current medication a chance to do its job.

Hm, the guys at the pet store specifically said it would help de-stress the fish. It's basically an aquarium salt. I'm also considering getting some frozen food, perhaps he wants to eat. They didn't have live food or bloodworms tho, but perhaps some brine shrimp?

Update. I've given the second dose of medicine but the male doesn't really seem to be improving that much. His left fin is still clamped and he's not eating. The tank is at 27C, is that too much? I offered frozen artemia and he showed no interest. He did try to eat one discus granule, but violently twitched and coughed it up. However he's not that much in the corner anymore, but still not swimming around. Any advice is appreciated.

Another update and I would love some input. I have done the 7 days of medication and his fin is no longer clamped. He also seems to have less fungus/mucosa, but the worrysome thing is that he still isn't eating. Should I extend the treatment time? Uneaten food quickly gets a white fungus and I siphon it away daily. Any more advice is greatly appreciated, as I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Are you doing big water changes before re-treating the tank?
If not, do a big (75%) water change before the next dose of medication.

Can you post another picture and a short video of the fish?

If you still have some medication left, then keep treating for a couple more days.

If you can get live brineshrimp they might encourage the fish to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back