malaysian trumpet snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gale said:
Phantom Thief said:
gale said:
I guess I'll try to quarantine them-can I do it in jars?
But what would you be quarantining for - these guys might carry diseases/parasites, but they don't usually show signs of it.

P.T.
Uh. because lucky62 said to. :lol: So I shouldn't bother to quarantine them?
It's always a good idea to quarantine any new animal , not for the sake of that animal , but for the others it will eventually be living with [ It could wipe out a whole tank ].

Many times nothing will happen , but if you've ever lost a large amount of fish because of an infestation of some kind you tend be cautious , I have any way.

The thing about parasites is all animals carry them , some a little different then others and some animals will tolerate them and others may not , meaning they could succumb to an infestation and die as a result , it happens , showing signs or not doesn't always mean anything .

What i meant was that even if they DO carry the parasites, they aren't always affected by it. Snails are carriers, and just that. They carry diseases, but i have yet to see a snail die from a disease. So even if you quarantine them, nothing would happen.

P.T.

Phantom Thief said:
What i meant was that even if they DO carry the parasites, they aren't always affected by it. Snails are carriers, and just that. They carry diseases, but i have yet to see a snail die from a disease. So even if you quarantine them, nothing would happen.

P.T.

P.T. ,

I meant you no offense and , I see your point , and I understand , I wouldn't be worrying about the snails as much as the other inhabitants .

Most animals I acquire never show signs of illness , even so I just think a few weeks in quarantine with regular water changes and good feeding can only help , that's all , fish ,snails , shrimp whatever it be . That's just the way I do it .

Cluttery ,

They could be looking for O2 , food , or even trying to get away from ammonia build up , water changes would help in any event .

lucky62 said:
I meant you no offense and , I see your point , and I understand , I wouldn't be worrying about the snails as much as the other inhabitants .
I assure you, no offence taken :) . And i see your point as well.

P.T.

OK I think I understand. If the snails had parasites or whatever, I could quarantine them for 6 mos (not that I would do it that long) and they would show no symptoms so I wouldn't have any way of knowing they have them anyway and would put them in my tanks that way. So really, there's no benefit to quarantining them unless they had something that they would actually show symptoms for.

so confusing. :S

when i got back from work today I found they had stripped the whole tank of algae, is this normal?!

gale said:
It also depends on what type of apple snail it is. According to AppleSnail.net, Pomacea canaliculata is much more likely to eat your plants than the much more common Pomacea bridgesii.
This one was the bridgesii type but then I learned from a post here that the yellow or golden type doesn't eat plants and the black/brown type does. I also read the same in the discussion forums at applesnail.net.

I found a post offering MTS at applesnail.net so I'm going to go for it there.

I'm sorry, but I think you have misunderstood something said to you. :/
Your snail was most likely Pomacea canaliculata, as I said and couple of other people in applesnail.net.

Pomacea canaliculata, brown and yellow versions _will_ eat your plants. Pomacea bridgesii, brown, black, yellow, blue, pink, purple, jade, olive, ivory, striped or any color _will not_ eat plants. In really rare occassions they might munch the most fragile ones, but usually they might even starve to death in a planted tank if there is no other foor than live plants.

I think it's sometimes hard to recognize the species or maybe some people don't even realize there is many apple snail species. And there is yellow and brown P. canaliculata in stores from time to time. Also yellow and brown P. bridgesii. The shell colour isn't a way to tell them apart, but the size and the shape of the shell.

I believe it is important to learn to recognise them and spread the knowledge. Apple snails are plant friendly if you have the right species. All of my 150 snails are P. bridgesii and I am not afraid of keeping them in planted tanks (and most of you know that I keep jungles, I usually have about 80 plant species :D).

P. canaliculata:
id_pom_canaliculata.gif

pomacea_can_frontv.jpg
pomacea_can_outschll.jpg

pomacea_can_atsurface.jpg
pomacea_can_walk_back2.jpg

P. bridgesii:
id_pom_bridgesi.gif

pomacea_brid_copulation2.jpg
pomacea_bridgesi_outshell.jpg

pomacea_brid_walk_front.jpg
pomacea_brid_copulation_overv.jpg

gale said:
So really, there's no benefit to quarantining them unless they had something that they would actually show symptoms for.

so confusing.  :S
On the other hand , the odd chance they had something you couldn't see , bacteria and or parasites , you put them in your tank the other fish in your tank become ill , maybe die , you treat the whole tank , if you have plants they can die from treatments etc. [ $$$$ down the drain ]

During quarantine of new arrivals is the time to observe , you're not going to see much on snails , but expect it , do frequent water changes [ helpful in both bacterial and parasite problems ], I do them every other day for a week or 2 , maybe light salt baths , raise the temp for a few days , I think the precautions are Worth it , if you lost an entire tank of fish and plants because of something like this it can be heart breaking , and it's happened to me in the past , so I see a benefit to quarantining every thing , even plants .

Quarantining is nothing new , and it's a good practice . :nod:

Did you know malaysian snail can get stuck on their backs? I just saved one of your snails lucky, it was there trying to get off of it's "back" for about 3 hours :lol: (I thought it was a shell at first, but when I came later to look it's foot was franticly waving around)

Dwarfs said:
Did you know malaysian snail can get stuck on their backs? I just saved one of your snails lucky, it was there trying to get off of it's "back" for about 3 hours :lol: (I thought it was a shell at first, but when I came later to look it's foot was franticly waving around)
Oh no he's fallen and he can't get up :lol: .

They do that all the time , eventually they get back the right way , but thanks .

lucky62 said:
During quarantine of new arrivals is the time to observe , you're not going to see much on snails , but expect it , do frequent water changes [ helpful in both bacterial and parasite problems ], I do them every other day for a week or 2 , maybe light salt baths , raise the temp for a few days , I think the precautions are Worth it , if you lost an entire tank of fish and plants because of something like this it can be heart breaking , and it's happened to me in the past , so I see a benefit to quarantining every thing , even plants .

What would be the best way to quarantine them? I'm getting a lot of 50, and I have some pint jars to keep them in. Should I put some flake food in there with them? Gravel? Is it enough to have the jars half full? 3/4?

yeah I'm full of questions. :rolleyes:

gale said:
lucky62 said:

What would be the best way to quarantine them? I'm getting a lot of 50, and I have some pint jars to keep them in. Should I put some flake food in there with them? Gravel? Is it enough to have the jars half full? 3/4?

yeah I'm full of questions. :roll eyes:
Sorry I didn't mean to make you paranoid .

50 you say , jars would be fine , you don't need gravel at first , maybe after a few days and enough for them burrow into , or they think they are burrowing .

When you get them , try and make sure they are all alive , If you smell decay , look real close , if you find dead ones discard them right away .

Don't feed them for the 1st day or 2 either . They'll eat flake food once it sinks [ don't feed too much ].

3/4 of the way should be good .

remember to take a portion of the water out when doing a water change [ 10 % ], some people will replace what has evaporated , but this doesn't remove things like ammonia , nitrites , nitrates , metals etc. things that build up and can deteriorate the animals health . Water changes can improve health , and help to improve bacterial [ the bad kind ] and parasite problems that might exist.

You may need to condition your tap water , to remove heavy metals , chlorine and/or chloramine .

Water changes are pretty much all you can do for snails or any animal for that matter , as PT said , any thing you may use to treat for disease or illness may kill the snails .

I would change the water every other day for a week or so [ maybe 2 ], and swirl the the jars as often as you can , to circulate the water . [ A small tank/ with air pump would be better ] , make do with what you have .

The biggest thing is if you get the sight unseen , you don't know where they are coming from , and even if you did there are still many things you can't see .

All this may seem like a lot of trouble / a waist of time to go through for snails , but I.M.O it's important to try , not as much for the snails , but for your tanks other inhabitants , 3 to 4 weeks should be plenty , I put mine in the the main tank at about 2 1/2 , but I also gave mine light salt baths the first 2 days [ 1 tsp to 1 gal of water for like 5 Min's , this is not without risk though ].

It's good to be full of questions , many of us have answers , some the same and some not , put it together with your own thoughts and see what happens .

Oh by the way , from those 50 snails you should never have to worry about getting more , unless you have to use strong meads for some reason .

We have them in every tank my son and I own , they really earn their keep .

If you have any other Qs , you can always PM me , I usually come at least once a day .

A few years back I never quarantined any thing , I didn't do regular water changes either ,didn't think I had to , I didn't know any better , now I do .

Most reactions

trending

Back