malaysian trumpet snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I got em! :D I had such hassle persuading the lfs guy I wanted them, he's convinced they're pests and theyr'e gonna wreck my tank and he's quite possibly right. :D *but* he said a lot of the fish/plants they stock are imported from Malaysia so they could easily be malaysian snails. Anyway, I took a couple of pics - what do you guys think? They look right to me...

snailsside.jpg

snailstop.jpg

Those are malaysian trumpet snails alright. I caught 2 wild ones the other day, now i have more then a dozen, but they're good guys :thumbs:

P.T.

ooh I like those! I'm waiting on a shipment of MTS from someone at applesnail.net. I think I got a pretty good deal on them since I can't find them locally.

sweet

into the tank tehy go, then. thankyou all for your kind help, without you, who knows what i mightve introduced by mistake :D

clutterydrawer said:
I got em! :D I had such hassle persuading the lfs guy I wanted them, he's convinced they're pests and theyr'e gonna wreck my tank and he's quite possibly right. :D *but* he said a lot of the fish/plants they stock are imported from Malaysia so they could easily be malaysian snails. Anyway, I took a couple of pics - what do you guys think? They look right to me...

snailsside.jpg

snailstop.jpg
That's them , don't worry they don't eat plants , just dead leaves , uneaten fish food , they are actually a big help in an aquarium as I think you already know .

They are also a live bearing snail and one snail can reproduce by itself .

With plenty to eat your population will increase like mad .

They mainly come out of the substrate at night , sometimes during the day .

It's kind of spooky , after my lights are out a couple of hours they start to come out , big ones , small ones and some you could hardly see. Sliding across plants , the glass .....everything ..................like night of the living dead . :lol:

They make a great addition to any tank IMO , freshwater that is , maybe even brackish , I'm not sure .

I would quarantine them a few weeks , snails can harbor some nasty stuff .

Botias will eat them , mine did , do you have any ?

I've put them in now...:/

I figured seeing as theyve been at the shop for months without hurting the fish there, it'd be ok...? I don't have any botias, just cories. :)

clutterydrawer said:
I've put them in now...:/

I figured seeing as theyve been at the shop for months without hurting the fish there, it'd be ok...? I don't have any botias, just cories. :)
No biggie , I would worry more if it were a big snail or a fish anyway .

Good luck with them .

Sliding across plants , the glass .....everything ..................like night of the living dead . :lol:
:lol: I can't wait for mine to get here. I guess I'll try to quarantine them-can I do it in jars?

gale said:
I guess I'll try to quarantine them-can I do it in jars?
Yeah, these guys are tough buggers and don't use up much oxygen anyway. But what would you be quarantining for - these guys might carry diseases/parasites, but they don't usually show signs of it.

P.T.

lucky62 said:
They make a great addition to any tank IMO , freshwater that is , maybe even brackish , I'm not sure .
I think they can stand brackish, after I nuked one of my tanks with salt I found a malaysian snail crawling around, that was about 30 minutes into salt time :lol: (I nuked the tank because there was severe ich in the tank that had killed the original inhabitants, and I wanted to clear out all ich parasites before adding more fish)

So dwarfs, basically it was an empty tank, and you put a large amount of salt to kill off the ich parasites. And the snails survived it. Wow, those guys are tougher then i thought :crazy:

P.T.

Phantom Thief said:
So dwarfs, basically it was an empty tank, and you put a large amount of salt to kill off the ich parasites. And the snails survived it. Wow, those guys are tougher then i thought :crazy:

P.T.
I took it out of course, but yes, the snail survived a short period in salt, and I think I still have it somewhere :p I wouldn't recommend trying that though :lol:

Phantom Thief said:
gale said:
I guess I'll try to quarantine them-can I do it in jars?
But what would you be quarantining for - these guys might carry diseases/parasites, but they don't usually show signs of it.

P.T.
Uh. because lucky62 said to. :lol: So I shouldn't bother to quarantine them?

I just chucked my snails straight in, nothing happened :lol: .

On the other hand though, if you put the snails in and then put in some antibiotic to kill whatever is in them, that might work. Thought you'd have to find something that wouldn't kill the snails along with it -_-

P.T.

Tha't sinteresting about the salt because the info page i loked at (i think there's a link somehwere in this thread...) said they couldnt take salt. Maybe they can tolerate it as long as it's not for extended periods of time, or something?

Another thing is that I found while they were in the jar, whihc was just a little jam jar, after a while they'd start to crawl up till they were above the water line. could this indicate poor water quality/oxygenation or are they just exploring? again, the research I did online said they only migrate upwards if they're short of oxygen but I dunno how true that is. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back