malaysian trumpet snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

clutterydrawer

where is my mind?
Reaction score
So. I want some malaysian trumpet snails cos I have sand in my tank and keep getting anaerobic pockets. not good.

my lfs has some trumpet-shaped snails in their tanks. they look pretty much like mts to me but im not a snail expert. when i asked the lady what they were, she said they were evil pests and they'd eat my plants.

how can i reliably ID them? I think theyll give me some if i ask, but i dont wanna introduce something evil that will overrun my tank and eat my lovely plants. :/

I'm a big fan of these little snails. They are one of the few snails that you can keep in a planted tank that will NOT become pests and munch on all your plants. They also have a harder shell than most, and can manage to avoid turning into dinner for snail-eating fish such as clown loaches. They are almost indestructable and very easy to keep; in addition, they serve a great function by not only cleaning up detritus but also turning the substrate (getting in the gravel or sand and aerating it, making it a good environment for plants to take root in). As their name implies, they are livebearing and can quickly reproduce, populating the entire tank.

charlie

Yes, i know that. That's why I want them. I also know that you copy+pasted that whole post from this site.

My question was, how do I tell if the snails at the lfs are malaysian trumpet snails or not?!

They seriously don't eat plants?? What's the catch? LOL. Where online can I get some of these-I know for a fact my lfs doesn't sell them-they only have plant-munching apple snails.

ok I read your link. I would really like snails my kids can hunt for but these look ideal for any tank. So any idea where i can get some? Sounds like they are super hardy. I'll post in the swap forum. :D

gale said:
I know for a fact my lfs doesn't sell them-they only have plant-munching apple snails.
:no: I've never had my apple snails harm any of my plants.
Maybe I overfeed them on algae wafers, cucumbers, etc. though....

It also depends on what type of apple snail it is. According to AppleSnail.net, Pomacea canaliculata is much more likely to eat your plants than the much more common Pomacea bridgesii. :dunno:

clutterydrawer said:
Yes, i know that. That's why I want them. I also know that you copy+pasted that whole post from this site.
LOL chad, a credit would be nice :p

Yes, the bridgesii are much less likely to eat plants. As for where to get trumpets have you tried ebay? And have a look in the links section of http://www.applesnail.net there may be a site there with id info.

Jon

I think i've got these snails in my tank but not positive.There are 3 varieties of snails that look different in the tank.Do they burrow about in the sand?If i posted a pic can someone indentify them?
I didn't buy any snails they just appeared and multipied. :-(

STEVIE said:
I think i've got these snails in my tank but not positive.There are 3 varieties of snails that look different in the tank.Do they burrow about in the sand?If i posted a pic can someone indentify them?
I didn't buy any snails they just appeared and multipied. :-(
Post the pics and we will see, hehe. If they are hitchikers from plants, then they are more likely to be common pond snails, but post the pics anyway, I may and usually am wrong :)

Jon

It also depends on what type of apple snail it is. According to AppleSnail.net, Pomacea canaliculata is much more likely to eat your plants than the much more common Pomacea bridgesii.
This one was the bridgesii type but then I learned from a post here that the yellow or golden type doesn't eat plants and the black/brown type does. I also read the same in the discussion forums at applesnail.net.

I found a post offering MTS at applesnail.net so I'm going to go for it there.

Discomafia said:
I don't think you can mistake MTS's, no other snail (that I've seen) looks like it. In the fish hobby anyways. How to succeed with MTS's
so if theyre cone shaped, im good? they dont exactly look like the ones on that page, they are the same shape but mine are kinda smooth and greyish but the ones in the pics look ridged and red/brown...

ach i might jsut go for it and see what happens :D

Do you have a quarantine tank? Maybe you could put them in one with a small plant and see if they eat it.

i do but my mum won't let me set it up :X it's only 8g as it is! i might try em out in a big jar or something tho, good idea, thanks :)

Ok finally got a pic of one of them as they seem to dissapear in the sand by day. :rolleyes:
Is this the snail in question or another type?
30741Picture_001-med.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back