Malaysian Trumpet Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Happy day,

People on Aquabid sell them. Also, you might have a local fish society and people who have them are usually eager to pay someone to haul them off. That last part might not be entirely true, but once you have them, you always have them.

My tank has been up and running for a week now, fairly heavily planted and I'm aiming for a silent cycle. I bought my plants from pro-shrimp and so far I haven't seen any snails. In a previous tank I got my plants from LFS and the tank was teeming with snails.

Do people buy snails?? If none show up where should I get them from?

A silent cycle requires a lot of fast growing plants for this to work successfully.

What one person thinks is a lot may not be enough.

If you get your tank to look something like this(neater of course as my tank is more like a jungle :lol: )
View attachment 119208

If the planted tank is anything like that then a silent cycle would be possible, the addition of floating plants would be beneficial as these absorb ammonia and nitrate pretty well.

As for snails, mine came with the plants I got from LFS.

Aonifbyouw ant snails, either get more plants and hope thereā€™s a snail or two or ask the LFS nicely if you can some pond or bladder snail, some MTS would be bonus.

Iā€™ve asked LFS a few times for free snails and they tend to oblige as long as youā€™re a customer and they know or have seen you before. Or they may ask for a small nominal fee perhaps.

Donā€™t ask for nerites as LFS normally sells these separately.
Ch4rlie, what is your tall grass blade looking plants?0

Ch4rlie, what is your tall grass blade looking plants?0

Hmm, not sure which plant youā€™re referring to but all tall grass type plants in that tank were -

Vallersernias
Cyrptocoryne Balansae
Crinum Calamistratum

Other plants were -

Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Blyxa Japonica
Anubias Barteri (growing in the centre of that tank, yep, thatā€™s one plant that grew from just a couple of stems on a little bit of driftwood)

Floating plants - Water Lettuce
Java Fern (for the shrimps which as usual was growing crazy!)

Hmm, not sure which plant youā€™re referring to but all tall grass type plants in that tank were -
Iā€™m sorry in right back corner.
Vallersernias
Cyrptocoryne Balansae
Crinum Calamistratum

Other plants were -

Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Blyxa Japonica
Anubias Barteri (growing in the centre of that tank, yep, thatā€™s one plant that grew from just a couple of stems on a little bit of driftwood)

Floating plants - Water Lettuce
Java Fern (for the shrimps which as usual was growing crazy!)

Most reactions

trending

Back