Malaysian Trumpet Snails

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Is there a such thing as too many snails? Even my newest tank has MTS everywhere. I pick them out and they’re right back. Harmful?

I have never seen any negative effects of large amounts, although I always wondered if that meant I had way to much solid waste being produced in the tanks ( to maintain that size population)?

Happy day,

I have had the same sort of population boom and collapse in my 15g for years. I thought if I added two assassin snails that it might help things or, perhaps, cause the MTS to stop their reckless breeding and instead unite against a common cause. Maybe they would develop defense systems or some sort of repellent. After six months, I have come to the following conclusion. Apparently MTS only recognize three things in life: (1) things to eat, (2) other snails to breed with, (3) rocks.

The attached photo and descriptive text may be disturbing to some viewers. Please do not click it. Do not keep reading. I am not accountable for any damage you do to yourself by continuing to read or by you clicking the image. Anything that happens to you is sin: self-inflicted nonsense.

As you can see, the two assassin snails tracked down a luckless MTS and are fighting over its carcass while a cory cat and feeder guppy watch the carnage in helpless fascination, grateful that it isn't them, but hoping for something left over to suckle. In the back right of the image, one can see the crumbling remains of a former MTS.

Attachments

• IMG_20200925_222306.jpg
    IMG_20200925_222306.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 113
In my tank I’ve had huge numbers of MTS and though am I overfeeding my tank, hence the large numbers of MTS.

Introduced 2 assassins from my other tank and they proceeded with great joy in decimating the MTS numbers over the course of a few weeks, once I was happier with numbers I put the assassins snails back into their tank.

Few weeks later, found baby assassin snails in that tank ! Hah :lol:

I have been thinking of adding some MTS to my 55 gallon tank to help with the sand bottom but I am also hoping to have some tetra fry so up so I think I will wait on adding the MTS

In my tank I’ve had huge numbers of MTS and though am I overfeeding my tank, hence the large numbers of MTS.

Introduced 2 assassins from my other tank and they proceeded with great joy in decimating the MTS numbers over the course of a few weeks, once I was happier with numbers I put the assassins snails back into their tank.

Few weeks later, found baby assassin snails in that tank ! Hah :lol:
Cue music...
"It's the circle of life..."

Happy day,

I've never used sand as a substrate, but how did you know you were getting anaerobic pockets in the sand?

Happy day,

I've never used sand as a substrate, but how did you know you were getting anaerobic pockets in the sand?
It started turning black in some areas and when I sifted it the smell stunk!

My tank has been up and running for a week now, fairly heavily planted and I'm aiming for a silent cycle. I bought my plants from pro-shrimp and so far I haven't seen any snails. In a previous tank I got my plants from LFS and the tank was teeming with snails.

Do people buy snails?? If none show up where should I get them from?

A silent cycle requires a lot of fast growing plants for this to work successfully.

What one person thinks is a lot may not be enough.

If you get your tank to look something like this(neater of course as my tank is more like a jungle :lol: )
455EC103-4323-4496-949A-605307B6D5D2.jpeg

If the planted tank is anything like that then a silent cycle would be possible, the addition of floating plants would be beneficial as these absorb ammonia and nitrate pretty well.

As for snails, mine came with the plants I got from LFS.

Aonifbyouw ant snails, either get more plants and hope there’s a snail or two or ask the LFS nicely if you can some pond or bladder snail, some MTS would be bonus.

I’ve asked LFS a few times for free snails and they tend to oblige as long as you’re a customer and they know or have seen you before. Or they may ask for a small nominal fee perhaps.

Don’t ask for nerites as LFS normally sells these separately.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back