Malaysian Trumpet Snails

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Rorie, mine took a wee while to warm up and start moving about.

They've started breeding already and I got them only the 7th of this month.

Woke up this morning and they have dispersed themselves all over the tank! So i gather they are alive haha.

How do you know if they are breeding?

MissKitty: sure, I'll try to post them on Tuesday.. will PM with details!

My friend has some Physa snails which she would be happy to sell, but the postage will be more expensive (maybe 4-5 pounds) because they are much more fragile so will need much better protection from squishing. On the other hand, I can then also send you some plants, if you are looking for some, for example.

Are the Physa the "tadpole snails"? If i bought some snails from both of you, would it be possible for you to post them together? And does she have lots available lol! it'd only be worth me getting some if i could get quite a few from her with the postage being higher.

What plants do you have available? Feel free to pm me if you want instead of clogging up your thread!

My friend has some Physa snails which she would be happy to sell, but the postage will be more expensive (maybe 4-5 pounds) because they are much more fragile so will need much better protection from squishing. On the other hand, I can then also send you some plants, if you are looking for some, for example.
Is that the ones commonly known as tadpole snails? They're great. I'd be interested in some.
Google says that those are the ones, but I have only ever heard them called Physa, after their genus.

[..] If i bought some snails from both of you, would it be possible for you to post them together? And does she have lots available lol! it'd only be worth me getting some if i could get quite a few from her with the postage being higher.

What plants do you have available? Feel free to pm me if you want instead of clogging up your thread!
I checked with my friend, and she only has MTS spare right now (she keeps only a small, 60 litre, tank, so not that many spare snails usually).. next time she has some, I will be sure to post on here. Will PM with more info now, about the plants..

Snails turned up today - thank you :)

The Postman had managed to flatten/squash half of them though :( Never mind, hopefully the remaining ones are okay!

The Postman had managed to flatten/squash half of them though :( Never mind, hopefully the remaining ones are okay!

That's the second time this has happened with this batch of posted snails, which is also the second time in many, many years of sending MTS. If you want more, I will replace the DOAs in that batch. Otherwise I can refund for the DOAs.

Few employees of royal mail are useless my friend had a parcel put in the bin the day it was being emptied.

Kat, it's fine :) I expected to have a few DOAs. The rest are happyily opening up and trundling around now!

Hey, any left?

The batch i got from you the first time, i dunno what happened to them! You sent 20, a good 5 or so did not make it (as above, stupid mail), and the others were getting harassed by even my guppys!! I have never seen them since! I realise they go underground, but should i not see them doing some work?! haha.

How big do they grow? Will they always stay under 1cm in size?

I had hoped that when a leaf falls off a plant deep in the undergrowth, that they would attack it and clean it up....am i right in saying this?

I have MTS now, Kitty Kat; I know some people would not be happy to say that, but I've got sand in most of my tanks now; it puts my mind at rest to know they're turning it over for me :)

They have lovely markings; The ones in my LFS are plain grey.

Hey, any left?

The batch i got from you the first time, i dunno what happened to them! You sent 20, a good 5 or so did not make it (as above, stupid mail), and the others were getting harassed by even my guppys!! I have never seen them since! I realise they go underground, but should i not see them doing some work?! haha.

How big do they grow? Will they always stay under 1cm in size?

I had hoped that when a leaf falls off a plant deep in the undergrowth, that they would attack it and clean it up....am i right in saying this?
Only a few, I am running out of easy-to-catch adults now! They are probably just in the sand (I never see mine, unless I go digging for them) as they are nocturnal so usually come out at night much more often than during daytime.. quite possibly, they're nomming any dead plant roots that they could find, right now :) yes, they do eat dead leaves.

They usually grow to 2 cm long as a maximum (measured tip of the shell to the cone base), and they are not exactly known as large snails and are not the fastest growers ever.

It is odd that guppies would so actively pick at the snails, if you want the snails to be more prolific, it may make sense to increase feeding a tiny bit (still, be careful to not overfeed fish).

I have MTS now, Kitty Kat; I know some people would not be happy to say that, but I've got sand in most of my tanks now; it puts my mind at rest to know they're turning it over for me :)

They have lovely markings; The ones in my LFS are plain grey.
Excellent!

Just letting you know mine arrived happy & safe yesterday :)
they've all trundled off and vanished into my sand.
I'm very very happy with them, and as fluttermoth said, they're much prettier than i expected! All the others i've seen have been much greyer.

And i'm amazed the postman only managed to squash 1 little snail, god knows how he squished 1 single snail with the others touching it, but very glad it wasn't more!

I'd like 100 babies please, posted to Oxfordshire, could you PM me the details to send payment

I'd like 100 babies please, posted to Oxfordshire, could you PM me the details to send payment

Can you wait a few weeks? I'll be in Abingdon/Oxford from the 24th June, so can hand them over myself, if you're somewhere there. Otherwise, next post date is 6th of June, if you can wait till then.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back