Making Things Cheaper

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
Just changed from using a liquid fertilizer for my plants, to using a dry powder designed for use in aquariums.

It is so much cheaper - I guess there are none of the associated shipping costs, the extra weight of the water in a bottle, + the fact that the bottle needs to be leak tight. This powdered stuff can just be sold in a bag.



Anyone else got any suggestions to reduce the cost of fishkeeping?

:fish:
 
Use 'Prime' as a dechlorinator, or use a pond dechlor.

I've just changed over, (ordered), from API Stress Coat

The API Stress Coat was £13.99 for 250ml of dechlor (with aloe vera for all the difference it makes), and you use 5ml to treat 38L
Costs £1.47 to treat 200L

The Seachem Prime just cost me around £14 (delivered) for 500ml and you use 5ml to treat 200L
Costs £0.14 to treat 200L

Couldn't believe it when I worked it out :P

Where did you get your fertiliser powders?
 
does seachem prime remove chlorine and chloramine? im using api stress coat at the moment
 
Yes :good:

Seachem Prime

Of course it depends on the size of your tank as well, and what size waterchanges you do as this seems pretty concentrated. I don't think there is any issue with 'overdosing' dechlor though.
 
Where did you get your fertiliser powders?


[URL="http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/"]http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/[/URL]

Dry fertilizers. They do individual ferts, and combinations they call trace element mixes.

This one?
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=546

Might have to get that :o

Melafix on the cheap (Melafake)
100% pure tea tree oil / dechlorinated water
1/4 tea spoon to 8 tea spoons of water.

mix it together and shake really well to mix it all up then pour into the tank

Tea tree oil cost me about £3 in Holland and Barrets and ive enough to make soemthing like £30 worth of melafix :good:
 
may give the seachem a try i have a 100g tank and change anywhere from 30 to 50 g at a time
 
Buy used equipment. It's amazing what you can find at yard sales. :D
 
just generally keep your eye out for cheaper brands/closing down sales, i picked up a 2.5kg bag of playsand for 40p before christmas
 
ordered some of that stuff from aqua essentials, seems good value to me, if it works i will let you know, ive been making my own melafix for some time, buying indian almond leaves in bulk, although im trying oak leaves not, cheaper and all over my garden. I also get large pond filter floss and use that to polish my water. Much cheaper than buying indivual floss, can use it for packing too. di
 
Buy used equipment. It's amazing what you can find at yard sales. :D
yep iam the second hand king when it comes to fish keeping :good:

Club auctions are the place for cheap gear, as well as fish; http://fins.actwin.com/dir/clubs.php

I'll get things I don't plan on using, just because they are so cheap. I'll barter these things for things I can use.

Case in point; 29 gallon tank, cost me $3. Traded it for a 1,000w bucket heater, for heating a 150 gallon outdoor tub.
 
Melafix on the cheap (Melafake)
100% pure tea tree oil / dechlorinated water
1/4 tea spoon to 8 tea spoons of water.

mix it together and shake really well to mix it all up then pour into the tank

Tea tree oil cost me about £3 in Holland and Barrets and ive enough to make soemthing like £30 worth of melafix :good:

Does that actually work? I've just been looking into it as it sparked my interest after I just had to use half a £10 bottle of Melafix on my tank.

1/4 teaspoon to 8 teaspoons of water is about a 3% concentration.

According to my bottle of Melafix is is "1% Melaleuca", (which is tea tree oil)

I'm just wondering if you have any problems dosing with your 'homebrew' variety, or if you have reduced the dosing?

Still, 10ml Tea Tree oil for £3.29, at 1% concentration would give you about 1 Litre of Melafake, so call it £5 including the water... £5 for 1L = £1.25 for 250ml, or £9.99 for the 237ml bottle of the branded stuff.... hmmm I wonder which I'll be doing next - lol
(of course there are even cheaper places online for Tea Tree Oil, a quick Google just found a place for 50ml for £6.20 delivered :) )
 
sound cool i was just gonna order some melafix them but gonna make my own now any one else gonna any diys they use ?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top