Main Differences Between Common And Sailfin Pleco's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skinbad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What would be the main things to look for to identify either? Think ive got Common Plecs, but instead of spotted, the spots run into each other by two or three spots, like camouflage. Pics: http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee375/mchlsknnr/100_2856.jpg

That's a common. The sailfins Gibbeceps spp have a more 'giraffe' like pattern and much, much larger spots on the face and head.

Here's a gibbi for you to compare with;

gibbiceps-pleco-lg.jpg

That's a common. The sailfins Gibbeceps spp have a more 'giraffe' like pattern and much, much larger spots on the face and head.

Here's a gibbi for you to compare with;

gibbiceps-pleco-lg.jpg

Okay, cheers Fluttermoth. Google Images had very mixed results, not that many clear pics to fully ID it, though i knew both would be big 'uns, most of the common pics show rounded spots.

can i also just ask then, i know these fish get BIG, this guy is around 7", the smaller one upto 5" at a push, in a 132ltr tank, how long til they'll want rehoming?

In all honesty, as soon as possible really.

They're just at the age where stunting usually starts; the sooner you can get them into something bigger, the better, really.

A 240l with a good external would do them for a year or two while you think about where to go from there, whether to udgrade again or re-home them.

In all honesty, as soon as possible really.

They're just at the age where stunting usually starts; the sooner you can get them into something bigger, the better, really.

A 240l with a good external would do them for a year or two while you think about where to go from there, whether to udgrade again or re-home them.

Cheers again Fluttermouth, had that feeling and hence ive been trying to id.

I explained here my situation : http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/365041-rescued-tank-having-issues/ - hope the link works, but basically i rescued the tank, it wasnt planned to have them or upgrade etc, im not realy able to do that right now, so have started advertising them where i can.

I know exactly how difficult it is; I've had numerous numbers of fish dumped on me over the years, including common plecs; you just have to do the best you can; plenty of water changes is the best advice I can give you really.

Most reactions

trending

Back