Lump on Neon.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey269

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't believe I've had 0 responses to my problem. Does anyone have any idea what the answer could be?
I have a neon tetra that I have been trying to figure out if it is just full of eggs or if it has tumors. Its belly is abnormally large, but not just one big lump, two separate lumps. They haven't gone away for a month now. The fish swims and eats fine and doesn't act sick in any way. If it is sick, will any other fish be affected? Can anyone help?

Hmm...

Maybe eggs. Or two other possibilities. Dropsy and Neon Tetra Disease. Google them and check out all three. I think more likely its disease, as eggs wouldnt lump in 2 places. Dropsy will affect other fish, but neon tetra disease will only affect neons.

P.T.

:unsure: How often do you feed your fish? Whenever my neon tetra eats, he always get really plump and looks like he's about to burst.

Thanks for your replies. The only reason I haven't really thought it is dropsy or neon tetra disease is because there is no discoloration, no eye problem, or scale problem, or social, or eating or swimming problems. I only feed once a day lightly, and I do notice that my tetras' bellies get a bit lumpy after they eat too, but this particular one's belly's (lumps are only under belly) lumps don't go away like the others' do and have been getting bigger and not uniformed at all. I've quarantined the fish for now to be safe, but I just can't figure this out. Thanks for your replies!

Probably caused by nutritional damage ,too generous feeding with dry foods,white worms or tubifex worms,coupled with lack of activity in the small aquarium. this leads to fattening of the internal organs,especially of the most important one,the liver,which causes a severe upset in the metabolism of the fish.
The reproductive organs,particularly the ovaries,are seriously affected and result to egg binding disease.

Egg Binding
Normally every fish in its waters finds it possible to spawn during its normal period of ripeness.In the aquarium this is frequently not the case,and the eggs must be dissolved by the fish's body.When a fish has been poorly nourished and poorly kept (too little space,too low in temp.,etc) this resorbtion is made difficult and the fattened eggs usually become hard.Such a fish are no longer capable of breeding,and the upsets in metabolism caused by the hardening of the eggs are so profound that females so affected are doomed to die.

(Just copied this from book to share with you)

Whoa!

Egg binding disease, first time im hearing it. But Stacey says its normal in other aspects. Did the book say how long fish with this disease would last? Its been a month already.

P.T.

None, book gives explanation but we have to practise by our selves as to gain the experience.

Hi Stacey269 :)

Could you show us a picture of your fish? Sometimes, a member might just see it an know what the trouble is immediately. :nod:

I saw a Betta in my lfs the other day and it had a lump on it just like you described. I asked the owner about it and he said it was a tumor and it started about 2 months ago. I didn't ask any more questions after that so I'm not too much help. Hope your fishie gets better soon.

Most reactions

trending

Back