The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I'd like to start having live plants in my 55 gallon. Are there any low maintenance plants that would not require pruning etc?

Anubias nana and java fern which you attach to rocks or driftwood are good ones to start with. These dont need a lot of light and are slow growing.

My tank is full of wood with slow growing plants attached - Java fern, several species of anubias, bolbitis, bucephalandra. I also have water sprite floating on the surface.

I concur with other members. Light is key...what is your tank light? Be specific.

I concur with other members. Light is key...what is your tank light? Be specific.
I'm not sure. It's pretty bright. One of them came with a 20 gallon kit set and the other came with a 10 gallon kit set.

I'm not sure. It's pretty bright. One of them came with a 20 gallon kit set and the other came with a 10 gallon kit set.
I cant find the papers that came with it either

Tell us what type of light (LED, fluorescent T8, etc). If it is a tube, is there anything printed on one end? On the fixture? If it came with the tank as a set, maybe you can find a link to it online?

LED it's the type where the little lights clip in to the plastic hood

LED it's the type where the little lights clip in to the plastic hood

Do you know the make? Other members with LED knowledge may be able to assist, I know next to nothing about LED (still using my T8 fluorescent).

I don't. Sorry! I don't remember the brand of the kits either.

Crypts, swords,java ferns, anubus, will all do ok in low light , crypts and swords are big root feeders so need nutrient rich substrate. Can buy a nutrient enriched soil or add root tabs. Ferns and anubus have rhizomes on them that attach to rocks wood ect...they get most nutrients from water, ferns need calcium and magnesium, as they have harder leaves. Get as much info as you can about macro nutrients NPK micro nutrients and relation to light spectrum lumens and all that stuff. Low maintenance plants still require work just not as much. Stay away from red plants too needy, good luck

Add water wisteria, a stem plant, to the mix.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back