low budget lighting help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@sharkweek178 what do you think of the Hygger? How long have you had it and is the unit directly over water? I noticed today that the output on my main tank is a bit variable (visibly changed colour several times while I was watching). Its 7 years old so I'm not upset about it :). Light is part of the lid so it will be directly above the water...

Options are
  1. new Aqua One replacement @ £200 - timer only no intensity control, and the timer is only on / off. Plants and fish have been thriving and I do have an external Nicrew controller for the intensity.
  2. Aquasky 2. £130 and I need to use their app, but I know it will be waterproof
  3. Hygger @£65 - does all I need and includes the controller. Blurb on Amazon says I can place directly over water and no reviews that contradict this. Similar output to the Aquasky
  4. Nicrew @£47. Nicrew recommends not to place directly over water and several reviews back this up. Suppose I could use silicone and I already have the controller - but that's still a faff...
Currently leaning towards the Hygger unless someone says its a bad idea. Not paying twice the price to be forced to use a mobile app when all I am going to do is set it and forget it. Its for the tank in my signature.
Over the water. It comes with brackets that hold the lights about a half inch over the rim. I have a glass lid though. I move it when I'm doing a water change so that I have light to work by when I'm doing that. I have never noticed any change in color (unless I was messing around with it myself).
There's a lot of room to customize the lighting time and intensity. I start at 20% and work up to 50% at the highest and then back down over the course of the day. It used to be a little brighter but I was getting algae so I cut the intensity. Plus I have neon tetra so I want the lighting to be a little dimmer. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to set. My plants are doing well. The fish and plants are the bottom line and I think it does well by them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back