Looking for thoughts on Beta fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Emily Grace

Reaction score
C718D664-F036-4047-99C3-30F3EE22D8A0.jpeg
Hello-
Iā€™ve got a pet smart half moon beta whoā€™s almost about 3 years old. He has some fin rot that has failed to be treated by more frequent water changes, aquarium salt, or antibiotics (I did two rounds of metroplex as well as one of kanaplex, just to be sure I covered my bases).

As of now, he has essentially no fin left, and as treatment I am doing daily 50% water changes and treating the water with aquarium salt, seachem paraguard, and stress coat. While he hasnā€™t lost any more fin (not that thereā€™s much to loose before we have body rot), the edges are still discolored and thereā€™s no regrowth. This has been a pretty consistent problem for over a year now, despite extremely consistent water care and monitoring. I havenā€™t had him in a hospital tank, as heā€™s in a 5 gal with no live plants (aside from moss balls which are easily removed), and I havenā€™t used any medications that mess with the filter.

As the next move im considering transferring him to a 2.5 gal hospital tank and doing 100% daily changes with the same salt, paraguard, and stress coat treatment. Is that a good idea? I see mixed views on 100% changes and I worry itā€™ll stress him out too much. If anyone has any suggestions at all Iā€™m all ears!

Other info: he is lethargic, but has perked up considerably in the last week (though compared to how a healthy beta should be heā€™s not great). It seems like most very sick betas get stuck on the bottom of the tank, but he seems to be stuck floating at the top and canā€™t swim down more than halfway for more than a few seconds (which is actually also a recent improvement). Heā€™s still eating fine. He reacts to me coming up to the tank, but most of the time heā€™s just right there with his head in the corner.

metroplex contains metronidazole and does nothing to external bacteria that cause fin rot.

if anti-biotics (kanaplex) didn't help, it probably has a drug resistant infection and there is no cure.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back