Looking for a new cover?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AlexJordan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I had to recover my tank from the Algae Apocalypse of 2016, which was pretty dreadful, but now we're back up and running. I just did a little bit of replanting, but I was thinking about the lighting. About three years ago I got a 20" hood that fitted 4 T5 bulbs for my ten gallon, so I've been using it for my 29 gallon. In terms of lighting, is this adequate for swords, java fern, anubias, crypts, and some ludwigia? Also, I'm having some problems with evaporation, so do you have any suggestions for something that would close off the system, like a full hood that might fit?

On the light question...T5 refers to fluorescent tubes, is that what the 4 "bulbs" are? If so, what length and wattage are they? And spectrum (K or Par) while we're at it.

Re the cover, you could go to a glass cover. I have this on my larger tanks (40g, 70g, 90g) but then the present light fixture would sit down on the glass rather than the tank frame which would be better (the frame that is). On my two 29g, I have the Aqueon hood that came with the tanks, but there is only a single T8 24-inch tube, though one can refit these. I can just manage to grow swords, if I am careful with floating plants to not block all the light.

Byron.

Yes, that's what the "bulbs" are. They're 19" and 18 Watts (I think. The listing was from 2014 and no longer exists, and it said 4x18W). As for spectrum I don't know, but looking at newer listings I think they're 6500 K?

Is there a cover that fits T5 tubes and covers the entire top? I'm not having much luck finding one, but I'll look into glass covers!

Yes, that's what the "bulbs" are. They're 19" and 18 Watts (I think. The listing was from 2014 and no longer exists, and it said 4x18W). As for spectrum I don't know, but looking at newer listings I think they're 6500 K?

Is there a cover that fits T5 tubes and covers the entire top? I'm not having much luck finding one, but I'll look into glass covers!

Not sure about the cover question. The Aqueon covers I have would not take a 4-tube light, the light opening is no where near that wide. As you're in the US, check out sites like Fosters & Smith, Big Al's, etc, and see what sort of hoods are out there. When I was looking for one for my 40g, I found nothing except using a glass cover and buying a separate light.

Re the present light, to answer your initial question, yes, that will be more than sufficient light for swords, etc. I would be worried it is overkill; four T5 tubes is a lot of light. Half this should be sufficient, and easier to keep algae under control.

I went to tap plastics and purchased a sheet of clear acrylic and cut it to fit my tank. Then I attached my light to the top of it. Plastic works well as long as the lamp does not make the plastic hot. If it get too hot it will eventually warp. Using thicker sheets can make them resistant to warping. Also My lamp is metal and rigid. I attached it to the acrylic in 6 places and that also helps prevent warping. Glass is a great material (very rigid and durable) but it is can be difficult to shape.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back