looking for 4 more species of plants :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you like any of these plants if so circle and i can name - btw you said fern were hard to grow but it really isn't. The first tank is on the right is a huge block of java fern that started from one tiny its bity plant:

View attachment 139465

:View attachment 139459View attachment 139462View attachment 139463
Some amazing pictures here!
6 months ago I wanted some Vallis. My LFS didn't have any but gave me a couple of scraps they had left over in a redundant tank. I didn't expect them to revive but this is a picture of my tank now! I have actually cut them back as they had spread half way along. The leaves are 6 feet long, they grow right along the top of the 4 foot tank then bend back down to the gravel at the far end.
It wasn't obvious when I planted it, but it turned out to be Tiger Vallis. I thought that was a variety of 'spiralis' rather than Jungle Vallis, but this stuff is much bigger than any spiralis that I've grown previously!
These are perfect examples @Sgooosh!! Some some plants like this and let them grow out. You will be surprised as to how big they get!

These are perfect examples @Sgooosh!! Some some plants like this and let them grow out. You will be surprised as to how big they get!
Some of the tanks you guys have are impressive. Scaped well with plants. One day I hope to kick start some growth in mine. Struggling with swords at the moment. The only luck I’ve had is my pothos plants which are hanging out of wherever I can fit them. Submersed plants I seem to struggle. Fish uprooting them is a main pain. It’s ok when the height of your aquarium is arms length but when it’s longer than your arm your swearing at a pair of long tweezers when you can’t bury it deep enough. Fun and games.

I prefer hornworth to anacharis but that is just me.

I really like Anacharis, you can attach it to driftwood and allow it to grow upwards or let it float also. It's a stem feeder and gets bushy
me too!
i love it.
i have some wild anacharis from a pond or whatever and it is growing very well
I prefer hornworth to anacharis but that is just me.
i cannot grow cacomba, it is not growing as fast as i anticipated...
though it is not dead.

me too!
i love it.
i have some wild anacharis from a pond or whatever and it is growing very well

i cannot grow cacomba, it is not growing as fast as i anticipated...
though it is not dead.
Cacomba is not hornworth. I have cacomba and it grows fine in my hi-tech tank but in my low-tech tank it does not grow. Hornworth in my low-tech tank grows faster than cacomba in my high-tech tank.... different plants. Hornworth doesn't grow in every tank i have but it does well in the guppy tank - also it provides nice hiding places... don't love the look but like it better than anacharis which grows in the same tank. That tank is not pictured above - it is a bit of a mess for various reasons - i purchased a very young female betta from petco that turned out to be diseased so i treated the tank with furan-2 which obliterated most of the plant life - stuff is just starting to grow back but hasn't really fully recovered yet. Reasons for a qt tank. Maybe after i move.

could you circle them?
thanks!
cool tanks.
still love the angelfish one.
The java fern is on the right hand side next to the glass - it is over a foot long next to the glass on the right side so you can't miss it.

Cacomba is not hornworth. I have cacomba and it grows fine in my hi-tech tank but in my low-tech tank it does not grow. Hornworth in my low-tech tank grows faster than cacomba in my high-tech tank.... different plants. Hornworth doesn't grow in every tank i have but it does well in the guppy tank - also it provides nice hiding places... don't love the look but like it better than anacharis which grows in the same tank. That tank is not pictured above - it is a bit of a mess for various reasons - i purchased a very young female betta from petco that turned out to be diseased so i treated the tank with furan-2 which obliterated most of the plant life - stuff is just starting to grow back but hasn't really fully recovered yet. Reasons for a qt tank. Maybe after i move.
oh ok.
it only grows when i add ferts.
once a week :(
ill see hornwort in petsmart or something.
it is in local rivers too (not worth it)
The java fern is on the right hand side next to the glass - it is over a foot long next to the glass on the right side so you can't miss it.
mhm
i just planted mine, not sure whats gonna happen

oh ok.

mhm
i just planted mine, not sure whats gonna happen
Make sure the rhizome is above the substrate (not on the substrate) or it will rot and that won't give you a good impression of the plant.

I really like Anacharis, you can attach it to driftwood and allow it to grow upwards or let it float also. It's a stem feeder and gets bushy
Anacharis does better buried deep in the substrate, rather than attached to driftwood.

Some of the tanks you guys have are impressive. Scaped well with plants. One day I hope to kick start some growth in mine. Struggling with swords at the moment. The only luck I’ve had is my pothos plants which are hanging out of wherever I can fit them. Submersed plants I seem to struggle. Fish uprooting them is a main pain. It’s ok when the height of your aquarium is arms length but when it’s longer than your arm your swearing at a pair of long tweezers when you can’t bury it deep enough. Fun and games.
Keep at it!! You’ll get there some day. :)

oh ok.
What ferts do you dose?

Make sure the rhizome is above the substrate (not on the substrate) or it will rot and that won't give you a good impression of the plant.
what rhizome?
i also have that in the river (if i can bleach it it is prob worth it)

Anacharis does better buried deep in the substrate, rather than attached to driftwood.

Keep at it!! You’ll get there some day. :)

What ferts do you dose?
flourish liquid fert and flourishRoot_tab

what rhizome?
i also have that in the river (if i can bleach it it is prob worth it)
That is the part of the plants the leaves and those black root like structure connect to. If it is on or below the substrate the plant will rot and you will declare java fern hard to grow.

flourish liquid fert and flourishRoot_tab
How often do you put the tabs in the substrate next to the roots?

IME, Java fresh won’t readily accept root tabs. I didn’t give mine a single root tab in 2 years, and it’s almost quadrupled in size.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back