looking at “goodies”

Magnum Man37 152

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Joined
Jun 21, 2023
Messages
7,658
Reaction score
6,918
Points
113
Location
Southern MN
disgusted with how the sail fin project went… I’m thinking of forging on with some goodies… right now, Ameca splendens, and Zoogoneticus tequila are available , and most interesting, the splendens sound like they are easier to breed in a community tank… any other suggestions to look at, that are reasonably available and native to Mexico, so I can keep the tank regional???
 
Last edited:
Ooo sounds like a good project! Probably the only livebearers I want to keep. No offence intended to the others, but I'm not drawn to the classics.

I reckon you can get some great advice from @emeraldking & @fish48
 
I just received a trio of Xenotoca doidrioi from Dan. They are in quarantine. Nice looking fish.
 
There are more goodeid species that do well in a community tank and where they'll reproduce. And keep the temperature in mind. Most goodeids like lower temperature rates to do well. And choose well because a serious number (so, not all...) of them are fin nippers.
 
Both are extremely nice fish, and I have had the privilege to breed both in my old fishkeeping phase.

Tequila splitfins (Z. Tequila) are not tricky at all as long as they get into the right water conditions which I trust you have saying how your tank is already a regional one. A. Splendens are not the only goodeid that you will find a good project, but they are of the more common and cheap variety. Still very unique and rare in their own respect. Most goodeids will fin nip, but that is just something to keep in mind as they will still be just fine.

For other recommendations, here are a few I would say work best:
  1. Trout Goodeid (Ilyodon furcidens) - This would be my #1 alternative to your ideas in terms of livebearers
  2. CPOs - Good species to keep and always brighten the mood, plus local for your tank.
  3. Rainbow Cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa) - If you were to add a cichlid, this would be the one as they are native to central america (I think mexico as well), and are good for mixed species tanks. They don't ever get bigger than 4 inches and only get fiesty during breeding (mine showed signs of conspecific aggression but not much of it).
 
This Xenotoca doidrioi Goodeid won’t stand still for the camera. But he has some nice blue, orange and red shades.
IMG_3739.webp
IMG_3741.webp
 
My Xenoteca, and most other Goodeids I kept didn't go well with Poecilid livebearers. They got nippy with them, and dominated them. They're grumpy fish. The Poecilids (platys and swords mainly, but also mollies) also liked a bit more protein, and that's dangerous for many Goodeids.

My Ilyodon got some size, and no tankmates did well with them. And if I had hard water, I'd be looking for them. They are great fish to watch and grow.
 
Thanks for the info. I will move the Xenotoca if they get nippy. Right now they have been good neighbors. I target feed them spirulina to balance what goes into the tank. I hope that helps.
 
Here is my target feeder.
IMG_3759.webp
 
It's possible that others here know far more about Goodeid nutrition than I do. I hope they offer corrections if I'm wrong.

Vegetable matter like spirulina means little. They need fibre. They've evolved to deal with poor nutritional sources, and if they get the usual aquarium food protein, I was always told to be very very VERY careful. They nourish their very large young in the womb, via structures in their heads. I was warned you can lose females to breech births if the nutrition is rich. The babies become too big.

I did lose some females early during or after drops, but once I went with high fibre, no other flake or pellets within a tank of them, I stopped losing them. This along with their throwing their size and weight around is a key reason why I chose to keep them in species tanks. The young were very sought after given their often endangered statuses, and I never had trouble with any overpopulating except Ilyodon, which were not wanted.
 
It's possible that others here know far more about Goodeid nutrition than I do. I hope they offer corrections if I'm wrong.

Vegetable matter like spirulina means little. They need fibre. They've evolved to deal with poor nutritional sources, and if they get the usual aquarium food protein, I was always told to be very very VERY careful. They nourish their very large young in the womb, via structures in their heads. I was warned you can lose females to breech births if the nutrition is rich. The babies become too big.

I did lose some females early during or after drops, but once I went with high fibre, no other flake or pellets within a tank of them, I stopped losing them. This along with their throwing their size and weight around is a key reason why I chose to keep them in species tanks. The young were very sought after given their often endangered statuses, and I never had trouble with any overpopulating except Ilyodon, which were not wanted.
What source of fiber do you recommend? I have black fly larvae. Is that too rich?
 
I fed mine a lot of higher fiber green flakes, and frozen zucchini coins, seaweed pieces, etc. I thought of them as aquatic cows. I looked for the lowest protein percentages I could find, so that might boot soldier flies out.
 
I fed mine a lot of higher fiber green flakes, and frozen zucchini coins, seaweed pieces, etc. I thought of them as aquatic cows. I looked for the lowest protein percentages I could find, so that might boot soldier flies out.
Thanks. Interesting Seriously Fish mentions nipping behavior but states no particular dietary restrictions. I’m glad you responded.
 
some species of goodeids are quite happy to live and breed on prepared foods such as a good quality flake food and pallet foods

However to keep them at the best condition live foods should be added to their diet. A good variety of live and prepared foods should be fed. some green foods can be added such as peas, lettuce, and spinach, or spirulina which is also good to feed to the fish, I feed all my Goodeids on spinach only once a month their main diet is live foods and high protein catfish food which they seem to like, the gestation period for a goodeids can be between six and eight weeks,two weeks before fish are due to give birth cut back a little on the feeding. too much food during pregnancy can cause larger fry with complications
Xenotoca doidrioi are very peaceful . best to keep them in a species only tank large adults can get aggressive towards each other but come to no harm also when well fed they leave their young alone
 
some species of goodeids are quite happy to live and breed on prepared foods such as a good quality flake food and pallet foods

However to keep them at the best condition live foods should be added to their diet. A good variety of live and prepared foods should be fed. some green foods can be added such as peas, lettuce, and spinach, or spirulina which is also good to feed to the fish, I feed all my Goodeids on spinach only once a month their main diet is live foods and high protein catfish food which they seem to like, the gestation period for a goodeids can be between six and eight weeks,two weeks before fish are due to give birth cut back a little on the feeding. too much food during pregnancy can cause larger fry with complications
Xenotoca doidrioi are very peaceful . best to keep them in a species only tank large adults can get aggressive towards each other but come to no harm also when well fed they leave their young alone
Interesting. I went with the advice of more experienced keepers. I did give a high protein diet to grow sexually immature ones, but tailed it back as they approached breeding age. It looks like I may have over applied the advice on protein-rich food, though I was able to keep and breed several species for a number of years. Most importantly with Goodeids, I was able to distribute them. You don't want to be a "black hole" fishkeeper with threatened fish. If you bring them in, it's good to share them out too.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top