Looking At Getting A Reptile Or Amphibian

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Alasse

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One should NOT drop into the pet store for a look. I ended up buying a reptile enclosure, it was nearly half price lol

Now i wasnt intending on getting a reptile or amphibian, but i guess i am now.
So now need to organize a license first, then decide what kinda critter im gonna get.

Possibilities (obviously not all together!)

Bearded dragon,
Childrens python - I am very tempted, but hubby is really not a snake fan!
Green Tree Frogs

first up: what is the enclosure that you bought/its dimensions. This will severely alter the type of reptile you can keep.

Next is; consider what it will need as a grown adult. A bearded dragon will need a vivarium that is a minimum 48"x18"x18" - I recommend wooden as you also want to retain heat and a glass fish tank will leak it faster than Julian Assange.

Throughout its entire life, a bearded dragon will also need a source of UVB (replace every six months, £15+ depending on what type of bulb you choose) & a basking spot, meaning hot lamps so many "starter" enclosures such as a faunarium are useless. If its an exo terra glass cube, it is also pretty much useless for snakes & dragons.

childrens pythons are not something I would recommend for a begginner - they can be very very fiesty and viv defensive which can put you off handling them very quickly, which will make the issue all the worse.

Green tree frogs (and any other frog) are pretty much "essential" handling only, but they require something tall as well as wide/deep. A 12x12x12 exo terra is a good starter, but you will need to increase to something more like a 24x12x18 as it/they grow. they can also escape the tiniest of gaps, dont consider these for anything less than an exo terra style glass viv.

Depending on your enclosure, other alternatives you may want to investigate:

Lizards:
Leopard Gecko
Crested Gecko (these guys are just amazing)

Snakes:

Royal pythons - these can be picky eaters and for a beginner you may worry about them not eating. stories of them refusing feeds for 12 months + abound BUT thats not to  say you can just relax when they refuse feeds. when stricking, these make the most seasoned feeder jump sometimes: they strike faster that your eyeball can update your brain with a new image. handling these buys, they like to just curl up around your arm and sit there.

Kingsnakes - florida/cali  -- these guys can be full of character, but respond well to perisistant handling & like to move around when being handled, Going to other types of kings can be hit or miss on character and attitude.

Cornsnakes: any: very popular amongst people starting in the hobby who then wish they got a royal python! they move around like the kings when young, but as they get older become much more docile although nothing like a royal.

If you can post details on the enclosure, happy to give more info :)

Childrens pythons are recommended here as beginner snakes. They can be a bit snappy when young, but settle when mature.

I was told a childrens python or a beaded will be ok in the enclosure, the only thing is, the beaded will require exercise or out of cage time, i am hoping to harness train if i go that route.

I dont live in the US, i live in Australia.

I like the look of the Stimpson python, the Spotted python & Banded Pygmy. It would just depend what is available locally when i am ready (need to apply for a license and get a few things yet)

Just measured the enclosure...its 61x61x74cm, which is large enough for all the snakes i mentioned

I am looking at a Pygmy Beardie if i go that direction, or if i go one of the bigger, then will prolly build a melamine enclosure once required

The GTF, the enclosure i have will be suitable for a few of them, i can take 2 from the wild or find someone i can buy them off

Not really a fan of geckos, they tend to come out at night only

going buy the sizes id guess you have a glass viv there?

for a beardie these are thigs you MUST supply:

UVB light source
basking spot (roughly 40°)
cool shaded spot
added calcium in their diet.

as a juvenille, what yoy have will do one fine for about 12 months.

after that, you really should increase the vivariun to 48"*15"*18" minimum, preferably 24"*24" height/depth and 48" or more wide if you can.

any less and you are falling very short of the recommended space to give an adult.

dgwebster said:
going buy the sizes id guess you have a glass viv there?

for a beardie these are thigs you MUST supply:

UVB light source
basking spot (roughly 40°)
cool shaded spot
added calcium in their diet.

as a juvenille, what yoy have will do one fine for about 12 months.

after that, you really should increase the vivariun to 48"*15"*18" minimum, preferably 24"*24" height/depth and 48" or more wide if you can.

any less and you are falling very short of the recommended space to give an adult.
Pygmy beardie will be ok in the size i have, a regular size as stated above i would prolly build a melamine enclosure.

I realise what they need, i do a lot of research prior to buying anything. No excuse not to with the internet around.

I really am leaning towards a snake though.

pygmy beardies are not so common here and of course you would be here/herp forums if you didnt research :)

for reference, I have (or had but since passed away) snake wise:

desert king
florida king
milksnakes (*6,various)
hondurans (*3)
mexican black kingsnake
corn snakes (*4)

childrens pythons
royal (ball) pythons (*12, various morphs)
western hognose (*6)
some giant brown thing that i can never remember (the mrs owns it)
salmon boa

ever think you are missing something...

anyway, id like to believe i have a broad experience of the common different snakes. a carpet python *can* be ok, but personally I would not have liked it to have been my first snake.

i have a bearded dragon, 4 tortoises and a red eyed tree frog, im uk so all are readily available here, my frog is purely a look at only pet, my dragon on the other hand has such a character, i love him to bits, if you need to pic my brains, just holler

You should get a Scrub python!! ;D Love those guys!

I'm kidding just so that isn't lost on anyone...but I have a carpet python myself, and love her.

Bearded dragon would be my choice, I know a lady who has one and he is quite a character.

the only thing is, the beaded will require exercise or out of cage time, i am hoping to harness train if i go that route.
She walks hers using a harness, People stop her all the time to ask questions about him. He also likes to watch TV  by sitting on the arm rest of her chair, He even comes to her when she calls him.

I have a 13 year old leopard gecko that is out ALL the time.  I say she (he?) is 13... that's how long I've had her.  Not sure how old she was when we bought her.  She's getting sassy in her old age.

dgwebster said:
for reference, I have (or had but since passed away) snake wise:
desert king
florida king
milksnakes (*6,various)
hondurans (*3)
mexican black kingsnake
corn snakes (*4)
childrens pythons
royal (ball) pythons (*12, various morphs)
western hognose (*6)
some giant brown thing that i can never remember (the mrs owns it)
salmon boa
Yipe, I don't think I wanna go to your house!

found out about the giant brown thing!

its a columbian rainbow boa. its rare to go above 5' in size, this is about 5'6" female. when she is pissy, you know it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back