Lookin For A Loach!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
looking for a loach that would suit my congo/asian archerfish tank. Right now i have the archers, a brown knifefish, 3 kribs, and a group of congos.. All params are fine and im going to add some more fish, the loaches being part of the addition...any ideas as to what loaches? Any that like to play in sand are welcomed as i love sandsifter/ scavengers that go through the sand since my sand bed is slightly deeper than most sand beds... also need to be large enough not to be dinner for the archers and will play well with the kribs. Other fish ideas (catfish or any other bottom dwellers) are welcome..

MAYBE a Kuhli Loach. They enjoy scavenging (especially in sand), and are quick enough to escape from an fish who are thinking of having them as a meal! :lol:

Here's some more detailed info...
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/acantopsis-choirorhynchos/

Loaches don't like salt because they're a scaleless fish. If the Clown Loach is too large for your needs, I would suggest yoyo loaches. They have similar personalities to the clown loaches, are usually fairly easy to find, but don't get quite as big as the clown loaches. Most loaches, including the yoyo love to dig around in sand.

Yo-Yo loaches are a great choice. Another one that would be good would be the Botia kubotai (marble loach) They have great coloration, don't get very big (5 inches or so) so they wouldn't take away from your showcase fish (laser wielding archers) but will stand out. Kuhli loaches would be fine. I don't know of many fish that would be able to keep up with a kuhli loach as far as speed, plus the fact that kuhlis can fit in places that most fish can't (I have found my kuhlis in the tiniestt cracks of driftwood, and the first set that I bought, the LFS had to dig them out of the gravel).

Correct me if I am wrong though, but aren't archers brackish fish? If so, what is the salinity of your water? As stated, Loaches do not do well in salty water as they are scaleless fish and their sensitive skin could potentially be burned by the salt.

Yo-Yo loaches are a great choice. Another one that would be good would be the Botia kubotai (marble loach) They have great coloration, don't get very big (5 inches or so) so they wouldn't take away from your showcase fish (laser wielding archers) but will stand out. Kuhli loaches would be fine. I don't know of many fish that would be able to keep up with a kuhli loach as far as speed, plus the fact that kuhlis can fit in places that most fish can't (I have found my kuhlis in the tiniestt cracks of driftwood, and the first set that I bought, the LFS had to dig them out of the gravel).

Correct me if I am wrong though, but aren't archers brackish fish? If so, what is the salinity of your water? As stated, Loaches do not do well in salty water as they are scaleless fish and their sensitive skin could potentially be burned by the salt.

Toxotes microlepis are a species that does best in freshwater though a salinity of up to 1.003 is OK Ive found they much prefer freshwater, and thanks DM but in chat ill let you know whats up with the tank..its not filled with water nor fish right now..

Toxotes microlepis are a species that does best in freshwater though a salinity of up to 1.003 is OK Ive found they much prefer freshwater, and thanks DM but in chat ill let you know whats up with the tank..its not filled with water nor fish right now..
Sad face on that note. Look forward to chattin with you :(

How big is your tank and what is your waters PH?

Zebra loach are great loaches.

Regards onebto

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back