Longtime Reader, First Time Member

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joe Diffy

Reaction score
Hello everyone - Just registered today for the first time, though I've come here many times for advice as a 'lurker'. I live in Michigan with my wife and son, and have another son on the way in July~! I've kept aquariums for probably 20 years (since I was a kid). I set up my first outdoor tub this Spring (110 gallon tuff stuff). I have a large sponge filter in it, some lotus that I grew from seeds from amazon, some water hyacinth and a large clump of java moss. For livestock I have 9 white clouds, 12 gold white clouds, 6 longfin zebra danios, and 7 Daisy's rice fish. A week or so ago the evening temps went down into the 40's which made me extremely nervous (not having kept fish in tubs before). The water temp appears to have only gone to 60, and the fish did absolutely fine in that temperature. Now that things are warm I have lots of string algae on the back wall and well, hopefully over the course of hanging out here I will decide whether its a blessing or a curse. Part of me thinks, fry cover! another part thinks - ew!. Anyhow, Glad to be here and look forward to interacting with the experts.

Joe

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Tag me if you ever need help with bettas or live plants. :fish:

Welcome to TFF!

448502E7-0650-4F10-B997-5ACD40BF7336.jpegF65EC99D-ABBA-4520-BA3C-14F0ADF4B1F0.jpegC979657A-598B-4209-A60B-E38CEFC6E72C.jpegFB1B1EDF-17F8-4BEF-8566-1667480A466A.jpeg
Hello and welcome, would love to see a picture or two of your tub.

here’s a few ! It’s been a ton of fun!

Very nice, I have friends that have fish ponds but no tubs. I set up a kids plastic swimming pool in the summer for my turtles. Do you have to bring the fish in the house during the winter?

Very nice, I have friends that have fish ponds but no tubs. I set up a kids plastic swimming pool in the summer for my turtles. Do you have to bring the fish in the house during the winter?
I’m not brave enough to try and overwinter the fish. Supposedly the white clouds can be, i would just rather bring them in. They will be coming into the house in the fall. I’m hoping to have enough fry to sell some but we will see!

I figuered that, it would be expensive to have a outside heater, my friends use aerators to try and keep their ponds from being ice covered. Sounds like a big project in the fall. Do you completely empty the tub too?

Welcome to TFF. Nice tub.
Please vote in our Tank of the Month contest. We run TOTM every month. To view entrants, click on banner at top of forums.. Review them and then please cast your vote.

I figuered that, it would be expensive to have a outside heater, my friends use aerators to try and keep their ponds from being ice covered. Sounds like a big project in the fall. Do you completely empty the tub too?
This is my first time setting one up, but I do plan on emptying it out and trying my hand at overwintering the plants in the basement. They are not hardy (water hyacinth, and lotus). Supposedly it can be done, so I will try it out. Fish will go into tanks .. Tub will go into storage in the garage rafters most likely.

I put my white clouds outside last year and they did fine. The downside is that they aren't easy to see from above. Your gold whiteclouds should stand out better. Mine didn't breed in the tub as far as I know but spawned as soon as I brought them back inside.

I bought some half whisky barrels for the garden and lined them and the white clouds are going out again in a week or so. I have a tank of colombian tetras with loads of babies and juveniles . I'm going to try them outside too. It will be like a little holiday for them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back