Llj's Ada

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Finished the refugium for this tank and the RO/DI water is almost finished being prepared for a salting. I think I'll do the build Monday or Tuesday. :D

L

Just checking in! :good: so what's the over/under on clowns? :hyper:

That is going to be some pretty nasty chemical warfare!

Think you may be in trouble under the Geneva Convention...

That is going to be some pretty nasty chemical warfare!

Think you may be in trouble under the Geneva Convention...

Oh yeah, I have a feeling I'll be wearing gloves when I do stuff in this tank. LOL, the owner of my favorite LFS has shown me firsthand what a torch can do to human skin, especially a woman's. LOL, not looking forward. :no:

To answer another question, yes, it looks like clowns are heavily favored for this tank. A pair I think would be very lovely, as the tank has a good footprint for swimming. Yeah, I'm getting over my dislike of clowns. I just don't like the really light orange ones or the Picasso clowns. I like the darker ones. My friend in South Carolina has this very pretty clownfish that's close in looks to a Clarkii, so I'll ask him about it. I'd love to try a gramma again, or perhaps a bangaii, but I'm not sure. Down the road, I'll probably upgrade to a MH hooked up as a pendant, but that won't be until well into the fall when I have some money. :)

I need to check my bank statement, and if I'm not too much into the poor house, I'll be emptying the freshwater tank and finally building a nice little reef for my mom.

L

Well, life sometimes takes little twists and turns. This project isn't dead, just on hold for now. I've had some very good life developments that have put priority for this tank a little lower. I'll set it up eventually. Just not right now. :)

L

My popcorns gettin cold, better hurry up :lol:

LOL, very funny...

I'm not a salty person, but I do love your tanks!! When you starting this badboy up???

Thank you. I do still have plans for this ADA, as I think it's a waste for it not to be setup as a marine. But... I also think that it's better served if I put it on the back burner for now. It's a beautiful tank. I have a boyfriend now, we're quite serious actually, and we're talking about setting this tank up together. So it'll be a while yet. I may update this journal as I purchase bits and pieces for it. Like for example...

Hey guys... This is a link to Tyler's light... You think this'll grow acros and other sps in a tank this size?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96W-24-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-Marine-Coral-Cichlid-4x24-Lamps-LED-Saltwater-/230764753399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35baa6b1f7

I like that the light has legs, as I'd really prefer to go open top with this marine. Rather doable with clownfish, as they are not huge jumpers it seems.

See, not dead, just really slowed down.

L

I'm interested in how those lights will perform with acros - may have to put them right on the top of the reef.

Why don't you try it with a frag of something that could be rehomed in one of the other tanks if it isn't intense enough?

I'm interested in how those lights will perform with acros - may have to put them right on the top of the reef.

Why don't you try it with a frag of something that could be rehomed in one of the other tanks if it isn't intense enough?

I'm interested too. It's a fabulous light really. The presence of the LEDs gives it shimmer. It looks good and Tyler's getting good results. Granted, I'd be using it in a tank that's about 1/2 the size of his & more shallow, so I'll have greater light intensity. You just can't beat $75. Even with Halides. And also there are a few tubes I can play with color temp a bit there.

Tyler, there are 4 bulbs, correct, 24W HO T5s?

L

i want to see this as a marine tank...now! :hey:

Thank you. I do still have plans for this ADA, as I think it's a waste for it not to be setup as a marine. But... I also think that it's better served if I put it on the back burner for now. It's a beautiful tank. I have a boyfriend now, we're quite serious actually, and we're talking about setting this tank up together. So it'll be a while yet. I may update this journal as I purchase bits and pieces for it. Like for example...

Hey guys... This is a link to Tyler's light... You think this'll grow acros and other sps in a tank this size?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96W-24-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Hood-Marine-Coral-Cichlid-4x24-Lamps-LED-Saltwater-/230764753399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35baa6b1f7

I like that the light has legs, as I'd really prefer to go open top with this marine. Rather doable with clownfish, as they are not huge jumpers it seems.

See, not dead, just really slowed down.

L

Congratulations on the boyfriend! I have this light over my 20 gallon long and it is fabulous. The only downside are the legs/fixture. The screws are on the inside of the tank and stick out (not nice esthetically) plus that it obliges you to have a 5 cm open gap at each side. This is not a problem if you want your tank to be open topped, but not if you want to have a glass top for instance.

The good thing is though that they have these groves on each side which have exactly the same size as the Coralife legs (thank the Chinese copy skills!). So, I bought for 12 dollars a pair of replacement legs and got a great result. I attach some pictures for you to have a better idea.

These are the legs without the light:

Untitled.jpg

And this is the fixture with the Coralife leg:

DSC08690.jpg

Yes, four bulbs two actinics and two 12k? I think they are 12k. And it also has the moonlights. Not sure about acros. My birdsnest has tripled in size being up 3/4 of the wan in the tank.

=)

-Tyler

Yes, four bulbs two actinics and two 12k? I think they are 12k. And it also has the moonlights. Not sure about acros. My birdsnest has tripled in size being up 3/4 of the wan in the tank.

=)

-Tyler

Your tank is a 29g, mine is about a ~16g with a 24" footprint. The light should fit fine, right? Acros should be ok in the top of the tank, as it's a smaller tank and less deep.

L

Most reactions

Back