Llj's 8g Nano Nightmare!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Thanks n3ont3tra,

If push comes to shove, I'll buy the 6500k, though it isn't as high a color temp as 7100k, it's still closer than 10000k, which is too much.

llj

I removed the Lobelia, it was just too crowded in there. I need to trim the Bacopa, though, it looks kind of stupid.

Found a wierd thing at PetsMart of all places. Hemianthus callitrichoides! I figured at less than $5 a pot, and no overnight shipping, why not give it a shot? The 8g grew H. micranthemoides very well, though as dense, trimmable bushes rather than a ground cover. I am curious to see how closely releted the species are. If so, then I may have a nice little series of tiny, dense bushes, along the substrate, and a good supply of HC cuttings, which may be great to trade or use in future scapes.

This plant is a pain to plant. The clumps are tiny, but not individual stems, which I wasn't going to even try, not with roaming catfish. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The platy in the picture is a fry. Possibly I need to space them better, but I'm not going for a lawncover. Right now, as long as the catfish don't uproot them in the night, and they take root, I'll be happy.

IMG_1169.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

I'll probably invest in the light now as well, since I'm not helping the HC by growing it under an old bulb. Thank goodness it's summer and I'm getting some sunlight.

llj

truely an inspiration! keep up the great work. hard to imagine this is done on a budget, i must learn lol

I managed to order the replacement bulb for this tank. Instead of 7100k, I had to opt for 6500k, but I think I'll be fine. At least it's a new bulb. It wasn't too expensive either, about $13, so I ordered 2, to save me the trouble next time I have to order. Ordered some better bulbs for the 2.5g as well. The other two tanks can survive another few months, at least until my contract for the University goes through and I'll get a regular paycheck again. I really need to trim that Bacopa, looks aweful! :blink:

Rocks are a bit silly too, but some of them are holding anubias in place.

I like the hc in there. It should grow and cover the ground in no time with that much in there. I am growing some in a plastic bowl under a desk lamp. I am thinking of attaching it to a piece of wood... I saw some done that way, and it looked really good!

If you get too many platties and you feel like shipping... You can send them to me. :D

What kind of bacopa is that?

Let us know how it does when you get the new light in. :good:

I like the hc in there. It should grow and cover the ground in no time with that much in there. I am growing some in a plastic bowl under a desk lamp. I am thinking of attaching it to a piece of wood... I saw some done that way, and it looked really good!

If you get too many platties and you feel like shipping... You can send them to me. :D

What kind of bacopa is that?

Let us know how it does when you get the new light in. :good:

I may ship you ALL my platies if they don't stop snooping around the HC and uprooting it!! :shout: Goodness!! I keep having to replant. They are worse than the catfish!

It is bacopa carolianiana or something like that, not bacopa monnerii. I've had it forever. Keep cutting, replanting, cutting, replanting. Strong plant.

llj

i need some of your anubias... like now! :lol:

Yeah, you come and get 'em, I dare you. Anubias are one of my favorite plants.

The platies have calmed down and aren't playing so much with the HC, so some of it's finally beginning to take root. I received the new bulb, so hopefully that will help matters a little.

llj

I'm pleased with the HC. It's growing slowly, but it is staying very low to the ground, which I like a lot, and it's not getting any algae.

I am considering returning to the Dutch style for this tank, especially since the new bulb is working very well, and I'll actually have more time on my hands to maintain a Dutch scape. With all the other tanks in the house being wild, jungly breeding traps, I might as well make one very structured. And the seemless design of the tank asks for a pretty scape.

The hardscape with the attached moss and anubias will go to the 10g breeder, as Dutch scapes do not usually contain them. The emphasis will be on making this tank appear as large, densly planted, and bright as possible. So, I'll be keeping the platies and adding some contrasting leaf shapes and color. Another goal will be to cover 100% of the substrate.

Stay tuned for plant list, which I have to consider carefully, as I don't want to add CO2 or dose much in the line of ferts.

This is going to be fun. :D

Thanks for looking.

llj

These are the plants from Aquabotanic that are going into this tank.

Alternantera reineckii - what made this tank Dutchish last time.
Rotala indica - same idea
Vallisneria nana - I don't want the A. reineckii as a background. It needs to be off-set and I need more dark green in the scape.
Blyxa japonica - It replaces the crypts I had in the scape last time. It should create a nice line with the Vallis
E. tennelus - I have used this before and it will extend the Blyxa line
HM - for leaf contrast. Hopefully, it will hillhock like it did last time.
HC - to extend the line of the HM.

I may also use the Didiplis diandra and the Pogostemon stellatus, but I'm not sure, it would really have to go well.

The goal is to essentially capture and fine-tune the scape I had before, which I liked a lot. I'll be removing the wood and rock and will really focus on creating depth and interest with just the plant arrangements. There will be two-three lines leading to the A. reineckii focal point placed using the rule of thirds.

It might take a while for me to get the A. reineckii to work well. I had been cultivating smaller leaves with my older specimens and the plant may not look that way to begin with.

Thanks for looking,

llj :good:

Because of increased work responsibility, I had to dismantle this tank. Like the 2.5g, it just required more maintenance than I was willing to give and it was in an awkward location. I also had issues because it was open top. Not great for a house with curious cats. The platies were rehomed to the 20g and the 10g. I will say that I managed to get some lovely mats of HC growing in this tank and they have been planted in my 10g, which also grows HC well. I'll have to separate them later so it can spread along the bottom. It's kind of wierd having fewer tanks.

llj

Most reactions

Back