Llj's 8g Nano Nightmare!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

hi lljdma06, tank looks great looks like this trollop knows how to keep planted tanks, :p :) ,regards john.

I played Maddelena, the local trollop.
llj

I couldn`t imagine there being a greater trollop than your good self, llj. If you don`t want to be typecasted, you could always try for a strumpet or a harlot in your next production. :lol:

Unpromiscuous Dave.

Trollop photos posted in Non-fish photographs. For the curious and unpromiscuous.

llj :lol:

hi lljdma06, tank looks great looks like this trollop knows how to keep planted tanks, :p :) ,regards john.

I played Maddelena, the local trollop.
llj

I couldn`t imagine there being a greater trollop than your good self, llj. If you don`t want to be typecasted, you could always try for a strumpet or a harlot in your next production. :lol:

Unpromiscuous Dave.

Trollop photos posted in Non-fish photographs. For the curious and unpromiscuous.

llj :lol:

hi illj, wow nice photos you look gorgeous in that outfit, good luck with your acting career, regards john :drool: :drool:

Your tank looks beautiful as always. Love the photos of the opera, you look great, super operatic and dramatic.

Your tanks always look so good.

Look at my 55g. when you get time and tell me what I need to change. It is getting better (I think), but it still needs help.

Thanks!

By the way... I love the moss! I am planning a tank that has just val and moss. I just need to get the right wood to make it work.

By the way... I love the moss! I am planning a tank that has just val and moss. I just need to get the right wood to make it work.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I have been very satisfied recently with wood from PetsMart. I find some really great pieces of Mopani driftwood in the reptile section. It seems to be a new thing, but the prices are pretty cheap and the wood is often oddly shaped, which is exactly what I want. I know you probably don't live near one, but it may be great to take a trek with Shay. Large pet stores are often the best entertainment for little kids. They may even have it online, but you wouldn't be able to pick the pieces you want.

llj

Do you still have 3 wpg?

And I think I've already said this but I love all of your tanks.

Do you still have 3 wpg?

And I think I've already said this but I love all of your tanks.

Yes, this tank still has 3WPG, but it is less than 10g, so WPG goes out the window as a guideline for lighting. 3WPG is low-light in this tank, or at best, low-moderate. I do think the depth of the tank makes a nice difference, though. It is less than 12 inches deep.

And thank you for your kind words. I really just enjoy them. I've cut most of my maintenance to just once a week, which is so much better. I do still have to do top-offs, though. Evaporation is a pain in the Summer.

llj

I was growing tired of constantly pruning rotala, so out it went. Eventually, I'd like to remove all stems from this tank and fill the bare substrate left with E tenellus, crypts, and rearrange the wood so that it stands up more. I also added 3 more nice peppered cories to add to the trio I already had in there. They are a nice complement to the platies. I have not had a baby platy survive for more than a few weeks for quite some time, and I suspect that either the filter is taking them up or that they are falling prey to snails. When I run out of platies, I will simply replace them with another type of fish. Won't take long, platies do not usually enjoy long lifespans. Probably another livebearer, but perhaps something more exotic.

UpdatedaquariumpicturesOctober020.jpg

UpdatedaquariumpicturesOctober021.jpg

Thanks for looking

llj

This tank goes keeps on evolving! Cant say I like it as much as your previous scapes in this tank, but it is early days I guess :)

Sam

This tank goes keeps on evolving! Cant say I like it as much as your previous scapes in this tank, but it is early days I guess :)

Sam

No, I don't like it much either. The bulb is beginning to grow old and I think I'm losing a lot of light intensity. As a result, some of the plants are just not doing as well (E. tenellus especially) and growth rates have slowed. I recently rearranged the hardscape and will be adding more in the lines of anubias, crypts, mosses, and I'll keep the bacopa. All this until I can find a replacement bulb. Got the tank off eBay, so I have to look for the seller again.

I also have a nice small school of peppered corydoras in this tank, so I really don't want much of a lawncover anymore.

llj

I replaced the E. tenellus with Lobelia cardinalis, and I have to say, I like the look. It's cute and doing surprisingly well. It grows super slow, which is great!

December07Tankupdates026.jpg

December07Tankupdates030.jpg

Mitjansvideo023.jpg

This is the "love" tank. Everybody's breeding. The platies breed and the peppered cories. I'm in the process of getting some "T position" photos of the corydoras, but they haven't been very cooperative. The male is to the right. His name is Randy. :p The sex ratio is all wrong too, I don't have enough males. Even the snails are getting in on it. I'm desparate to raise some corydora fry, but I'm noticing that the platies trail the breeding catfish, and snatch eggs as they are laid. Consquently, these are the fattest dwarf platies I've ever seen. The cories, platies, and snails make short work of any platy fry.

It's not a great scape, but I think it's pretty healthy looking.

llj :)

I can't believe it's been almost 6 months since I've updated. The tank has been set up for almost 2 years in it's current state. This is good news and bad news. The good news is that it's a very stable system and that the fish are doing extremely well. A virtual platy factory. Dwarf Platies anyone? Seriously, I can't get them to stop! The bad news is that the bulb is getting very old and I'm having a serious problem finding a bulb that matches.

IMG_1095.jpg

While, I admit, I haven't had the time to really devote myself to aquascaping (a lot of opera singing), I have also been dealing more with the decreased light output over the past 2 years, which has been considerable. I'm adapting to those conditions by picking more resistant plant species.

So far, the only place that I could find that sold these specific bulbs was the following site.

https://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=75

They have the bulb, even a better bulb with a half 'n half 8000k and 7100k split, but the website doesn't let me check out. I have contacted the website, as I think it is either a web problem, or they can not sell to me. Hopefully, they can solve the problem, as the bulbs are highly recommended and a good bargain. The brand of the aquarium I have, Finnex, no longer sells the 8g, and no longer sells the lighting fixture or the bulb. The bulb is available at online hardware stores, but not with the right Kelvin temperature, the highest K rating I could get was 5000k, which is ok, but not great. Still, a new bulb at 5000k could possibly be better than an old bulb at 7100k. The light still works, I just know it's days are numbered.

For the curious, it is a Compact Fluorescent twin t4 push-in bulb with 4 pins. It is approximately 13" long, and it is a 24W, 7100K bulb.

Anybody have any ideas for this? I love the tank, and purchased it from eBay because it was seemless. I've already contacted the seller, and they no longer make the 8g, so I have to find the equivalent replacement parts. Filter is about to go bust too, but that's the least of my problems.

llj :)

Most reactions

Back