He he me.
I thought I was going to be strong and hold out, but it's my B-day tomorrow, and I thought I'd treat myself to a new, well not so new tank.
I set up the 8g nano again. It still has 3.00 WPG, which I really don't think means much in this tank. Plants that require high light never did well in it, so I want to treat it like my 20g and 36g. I've reduced the photo-period to 8 hours and I'll see if that works. I've also reduced the amount of CO2 and will probably only dose with Flourish. The substrate is the same, gravel with laterite, and I need to put root tabs tomorrow. It's stocked with leftover plants from both tanks. No fish plans yet. I'd like a giant betta, but I doubt I'll get one. A few male guppies might be an alright substitute. I can get those. Or a small rasbora. No cherry barbs.
I have to apologize for the scape. It's not very pretty and it needs more fast-growers. Plants aren't easy to come by over in Miami. But it'll be easy for me to get into everything.



I need some advice. Should I treat this tank like a lower light tank? I hear you throw WPG rules out the window when the tanks are this small and I don't want to have the greenwater and algae nightmare I had last time. This tank as an EI tank was a disaster. I don't think I have enough light. Had more than enough CO2, more than enough ferts.
Thanks for the help in advance,
llj
I thought I was going to be strong and hold out, but it's my B-day tomorrow, and I thought I'd treat myself to a new, well not so new tank.
I set up the 8g nano again. It still has 3.00 WPG, which I really don't think means much in this tank. Plants that require high light never did well in it, so I want to treat it like my 20g and 36g. I've reduced the photo-period to 8 hours and I'll see if that works. I've also reduced the amount of CO2 and will probably only dose with Flourish. The substrate is the same, gravel with laterite, and I need to put root tabs tomorrow. It's stocked with leftover plants from both tanks. No fish plans yet. I'd like a giant betta, but I doubt I'll get one. A few male guppies might be an alright substitute. I can get those. Or a small rasbora. No cherry barbs.
I have to apologize for the scape. It's not very pretty and it needs more fast-growers. Plants aren't easy to come by over in Miami. But it'll be easy for me to get into everything.



I need some advice. Should I treat this tank like a lower light tank? I hear you throw WPG rules out the window when the tanks are this small and I don't want to have the greenwater and algae nightmare I had last time. This tank as an EI tank was a disaster. I don't think I have enough light. Had more than enough CO2, more than enough ferts.
Thanks for the help in advance,

llj

Thanks for the Smilies. 
/www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=163000



Somebody told me that I may be outgassing my CO2. The plants were just not consuming the amount of CO2 I was putting in for the amount of light I had, resulting in cloudy water. Newish theory, but I'm willing to try new things. That's how you learn. So I tried something. I removed my CO2. I started dosing CO2 with just Seachem Excel; like 1.5ml. The water is still crystal clear, and it would have been cloudy by now when I injected CO2 like I do in my other tanks. I'll see how this pans out. If it's not cloudy after a week or so, this is the option for my tank, and I'll be super happy. The pH is higher, 7.2, but the plants are fine, and it's actually perfect for the little dwarf platies I've been eyeing. I'll keep tabs on this to see how things develop, but it looks promising. If it doesn't work, I'll try not dosing at all. 






