Living The Dream 15 Years On

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have just added some mature filter media from a donor on this forum. I'm not sure on her on line name but Diane kindly gave me some this morning. I have added this to my external so will leave it to settle and take some readings possibly later. Two very nice established tanks Diane has got. Can't wait to get mine up and running.

Fishyfeet were the kind donaters of mature filter media. Thanks again and I hope you sort you hood lights out.

Try it and see, i think it will probably help. Go for around 20-30 percent yeah, and then test the water again. If you are low as in 2ppm then just let it run, then top it up more accurately the next time.
Hi. Would you still recommend I do a water change even though I now have some mature filter media in my filter? Not sure how long before the bacteria in the mature media starts working but my ammonia is still to 4-5 ppm. Only been 28 hours or so since I added it.

As long as you don't take out too much ammonia, so maybe not lower than 3ppm, you should be fine.

Yeah i would just do a small change, you should then test and take a reading and then start from there. With the filter media you should see a drop pretty soon.

I checked my ammonia levels this morning and I think they have dropped to around 1-2ppm. I got my wife to check against the API colour chart as I was wanting my eyes to see a lighter green and she agreed that the colour was a lighter green. I will check them again later to be sure.

What is the correct way to get a sample of water in the test tube? I just dunk it under the water and tip out the excess. Is this correct or should I use a pippette to suck the water up and squirt into test tube.

I use a syringe. Get yourself a 20ml one and you can do all four tests at once. It saves a lot of time getting the water to the 5ml line. Plus then you're not putting test tubes in the tank which potentially have reagent residue on them. I've got 10ml, 5ml, 2ml syringes too which come in useful for dosing medications, fertilisers, dechlorinator etc. Cheap as chips on ebay...

I use a syringe. Get yourself a 20ml one and you can do all four tests at once. It saves a lot of time getting the water to the 5ml line. Plus then you're not putting test tubes in the tank which potentially have reagent residue on them. I've got 10ml, 5ml, 2ml syringes too which come in useful for dosing medications, fertilisers, dechlorinator etc. Cheap as chips on ebay...
Cracking idea Jimbo. Will purchase a 20ml syringe. Just ordered 4 x 5 ml syringes for my babes medicine so will pinch one of those to start.

up to date juwel aquariums are the ones to go for. as i believe there latest t5 lighting system is one of a kind and lasts forever. thery brag over 30 years infact. i would reccomend the juwel vision 180litre aquarium or the 260litre. they are bow fronts and enerally awesome :)

Just tested for ammonia again and the readings are now 0.25ppm. They have dropped since this morning. Now do I dose up again now or wait till 0 ppm as I'm not going to be able to add any ammonia in the morning as I'm off to work at 5am and won't be home till late.

Really pleased to see those levels drop after adding the mature media.

Educated guess here and I dosed the tank up this evening to 4 ppm as it was so near zero. Didnt want to leave it 24 hrs before dosing up. See what happens next.

good.gif

Checked ammonia levels at 0500hrs this morning and they were 4ppm. Checked them again when i got home at 1600hrs and they had dropped to Zero! I checked for Nitrites for the first time and they were off the chart. I have dosed to 4 ppm with ammonia again and will check again in the morning. Processing ammonia in roughly 12 hours but need to start dropping these nitrites now. All going the right way so really happy. Cant wait to stock my tank. :rolleyes:

There are a few people on here that will donate mature filter media for the cost of postage. Would be £2-3 i guess, but ill be doing the 2 monthly strip down of my external this weekend and about a quarter of it is filter floss (have a look if you've not seen it). I and a few others are happy to bag it up and post out to those that need.

Drop me a PM before Saturday if you need some.

and :hi:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back