Living The Dream 15 Years On

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rhiny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I kept fish for 10 years whilst living at my parents as a child / teenager. 15 years on I have been looking to purchase a new set up. I have had a look on line and in local stores. Not really sure how big to go and with what manufacturer. Any advice will be appreciated. 36 yrs old and from Ipswich, UK.

Depends how much space you have and how much money you are wanting to spend

Depends how much space you have and how much money you are wanting to spend
I have no problems on space and have around £300 budget for the tank and cabinet. Do I build one myself out of individual components or buy one set up from my local aquatic centre?

Well you would be able to get a nice big one of gumtree or eBay for that price and if your confident in building one yourself and have strong enough wood or mental go for it

welcome to the forum!

You can get very good deals on second hand tanks - have a sniff around the usual sites.

Deals on new complete set-ups can be found, but anything from a store is usually expensive compared to online prices.

Build your own stand, buy a brand new tank. my best advice. I have bought used tanks, and new, and prefer new if I can afford it, or it is not an emergency situation. :good:

Oooo goody! Another fishkeeper! :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting a new set up so will have a sniff round the second hand sites and see what's about.

Bit different nowadays setting up a tank to when I last had one. Fish less cycling etc is all new to me. Glad I have fund this set as it's so informative and friendly.

Well , I was on a well known auction site and I came across a Fluval Duo Deep 800 ( 126 litre ) tank with accessories which include a Fluval205 external filter and cabinet for £100. I have paid up and will collect tomorrow. Pretty pleased with this. The hood doesn't come with lamps so if there is any advice on what type of lamp to fit I would appreciate it. Won't be setting up until the end of the coming week as I'm away on business for a couple of nights.

I have picked my tank and accessories up. Built the cabinet and put the empty tank on. Had a look at setting up the Fluval 205 external filter. I have ordered the filter pads etc for this. I was thinking of using play sand for my tank. Question is how deep do I put it in my tank? I'm looking to buy the master test kit also ready for my fish less cycling.

Hello and welcome! I have also recently changed to playsand and it is fab, never looked back. Just make sure you wash it properly, I just put it in a big box in the garden and let the hose run through it for about two hours and the water was clear by the end. There is a link somewhere here, but basically if you want live plants you need a minimum of 1 inch, but a maximum of 2 inch due to the death pockets that can develop.

Death pockets. That doesn't sound good. I will go for about an inch and a half. I do want live plants and possibly down the C02 route.

It depends like Salam has said on whether you will have plants, also if you are going to *aquascape* it a little bit, you might want to build up some areas and leave others shallower, rather than all flat.

I have bits ranging from 1" (no plants in this bit) up to 4" in other areas. I have MTS (snails) which turn over the sand also plant roots. I wouldn't worry too much about 'death pockets' - (anaerobic pockets) You can prod your sand now and again

death pockets is a load of tosh anyway, my sand was at 5 inches deep or more and although it does turn a dark colour under the surface its nothing to worry about.

Look into Tescos cat litter http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265235247

Once cleaned in a bucket until the water runs clear, its a pretty cheap and decent substrate. I recently changed over to it instead of play sand. :eek:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing

It depends like Salam has said on whether you will have plants, also if you are going to *aquascape* it a little bit, you might want to build up some areas and leave others shallower, rather than all flat.

I have bits ranging from 1" (no plants in this bit) up to 4" in other areas. I have MTS (snails) which turn over the sand also plant roots. I wouldn't worry too much about 'death pockets' - (anaerobic pockets) You can prod your sand now and again
I had a bag of play sand in my garage that I had purchased for my tortoise. I have washed it down and added it to my tank. It's roughly 1 1/2" deep across my tank. I'm waiting for my filter pads to arrive in post and will buy a new heater tomorrow. Then time to fill her up and get confused with the fish less cycling and testing.

Still not got a clue on what fish I want. I do want a community type tank as I think my 9 month old daughter will like watching plenty of fish.

Sounds good, good luck :good:

Luckily with a 126 litre you can have a decent community rather than getting a 60ltr and wanting to upgrade within 3months

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back