Live plants

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Erica27

Reaction score
hello Iā€™m just wondering what live plants I can put in my tanks. I currently have 1 severum 1angel but planning on getting a second 1 snake skin gourami 1 pearlscale gourami 4 rainbow 2 apistagramas 3 corydorys. This is in a 70 gallon tank with a hang on the back filter. Iā€™m not sure about my light, itā€™s blue but Iā€™m not sure what type it is. I can take some pictures if needed. The tank also gets some natural light, but no direct sun light. Also this tank has gravel. I have never kept live plants so any advice would be helpful!!

Try not to keep more than 1 species of labyrinth fish (Bettas & Gouramis) per tank because they are territorial and fight.

Rainbowfish and Corydoras should be kept in groups of 6 or more.

---------------------------
We need to know the lighting details before suggesting plants. However, if there is good light you can grow most aquatic plants. You can test lights by turning them on and putting your hand just under the surface of the water. See if there is a shadow of your hand on the substrate. If there is a shadow of your hand then you have good light.

Have lights on for 10-12 hours a day. if you get lots of green algae growing on the glass, reduce the lighting period by an hour and monitor it for the next week.

If there is no algae growth then you can increase lighting times by an hour and monitor it.

If you get a small amount of green algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Elodia (in summer but not in winter), Hydrilla, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, common Amazon Sword plant, narrow valliv, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).

Water Sprite is a floating plant that can also be grown in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

Get a liquid iron based plant fertiliser and add it to the tank a couple of times a week. I use "Sera Florena" but there are other brands available. You can use plant root tablets too if you like. You push them into the substrate under the plant and they slowly dissolve and provide food for the plant.

Don't get too carried away with fertilisers, You don't need any other type of plant fertiliser or supplement (carbon) for plants. Just get an iron based one.

Most reactions

Back