Live Plants

shortymet55

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
468
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Maryland
I bought some live plants to try out. When I went to put them in (Amazon Sword), I noticed it had like 3 stems. Like seperate, not connected at all, They all seemed to have their own roots. Each going off to like 2-3 leaves. Should I plant this as one, or separate them?

Thanks
 
You can do it either way. Most peope plant the bunch but wither will work.
 
Sweet. Right now, I only have 1 real plant and like 5 fake (29 gallon), so my tank is really empty, so I might spread them out. Maybe split into 2 and have one on each side.

One more off topic question. What fertilizer do I need? Im not using CO2, so i think the leat i should do to keep these babies alive it use stuff. What brand works good or is it all similar. Right now the only plant I know Im getting is the Amazon because I have it, but I dont know any others specifically, but plan on others.
 
If you decide you want to get more, aquariumplants.com is a good, online source. I have bought from them twice and been very happy with service and price both times. Stem plants such as amazon sword, java fern, anubis nana, anacharis, hygrophilia and val grass are pretty easy to grow and maintain.

As a matter of fact val grass is so easy, I started with only a root sprig from a local fish store. The guy was cleaning out thier plant tank and had a bunch of junk laying on the floor. I bought some fish and he bagged the "plants" up. I didn't even know what type roots I had. I stuck roots in he substrate and the val grass came up. I now have it in both my 29 and 75 gallon tanks all from that one tiny sprig.
 
if you want to make them grow quicker (cover more ground) i would take the individual plantlets and plant them separately.
 
Got a question on plants ... Sorry to steal the thread ...

I have a gravel substrate I would imagine this to limit the amount of plants I can grow but i am keen on converting my fake plants to live.
 
Plants like swords like to get nutrients from the substrate, so buying some root tabs that can be inserted into the gravel underneath the plant may help.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top