Live Foods.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

"fish that will only eat feeders"

isn't that like an arguement about "spoiling a child" ?

if you always give the child what it wants then it will always demand things it "wants" or "needs"

at the end of the day its just the wild fish's "preference" it doesnt "need" live food LOL

like humans, its about consuming "energy", we dont "need" big macs, but some us like them LOL

Explain how you balance out thiamiase then. So what happened to not wanting to use pellets because you don't want to clean up the uneaten ones?

Also do not say I'm putting words in your mouth when the words I take from your mouth are
like that.

It wouldn't be impossible if you used a bare bottom tank ;)

You try and get a fish that will not eat and is practically going to die unless you give it food, to wean onto dead foods. Especially fish that are ambush predators and will only take moving food, in the shape of fish and that are also very shy. So no, you can probably just say to a child "you'll go with then" and they might not eat that meal but will eat the next, the fish will not and will just starve to death.

Should predator fish be kept in tanks no.

"fish that will only eat feeders"

if you always give the child what it wants then it will always demand things it "wants" or "needs"

at the end of the day its just the wild fish's "preference" it doesnt "need" live food LOL

like humans, its about consuming "energy", we dont "need" big macs, but some us like them LOL

No. rhoms will not eat anything BUT live foods at first. Sometimes up to a year in my experience.

It's not spoiling my rhom to give him live foods it's keeping him alive until I can ween him off from live foods. These are wild fish, not bred in aquariums so that may be the reason they are harder then others, I am not sure.

I do agree with you that most fish will generally succumb, and the rhom will too eventually. I've had a rhom go 5 weeks without eating until I got scared and put feeders back in there.

Explain how you balance out thiamiase then. So what happened to not wanting to use pellets because you don't want to clean up the uneaten ones?

Also do not say I'm putting words in your mouth when the words I take from your mouth are
like that.

It wouldn't be impossible if you used a bare bottom tank ;)

You try and get a fish that will not eat and is practically going to die unless you give it food, to wean onto dead foods. Especially fish that are ambush predators and will only take moving food, in the shape of fish and that are also very shy. So no, you can probably just say to a child "you'll go with then" and they might not eat that meal but will eat the next, the fish will not and will just starve to death.
I balance thiamiase by giving 2-3 pellets to the frog a day. If I fed soley on pellets she would probably eat around 20, which is a pain.
Also, bare bottom tanks aren't as practical as people say. There is no area for useful bacteria to breed except in the water, and it doesn't look quite as nice unless its done in just the perfect way, with lights etc. I had her on bare bottom and it just meant it didn't look as natural.

And yea, you did put words in my mouth. I NEVER said, feeding goldfish to an oscar was ok, I said feeding fish to an oscar is ok. Huge difference. One specifies type of fish one doesn't.

[You try and get a fish that will not eat and is practically going to die unless you give it food, to wean onto dead foods. Especially fish that are ambush predators and will only take moving food, in the shape of fish and that are also very shy. So no, you can probably just say to a child "you'll go with then" and they might not eat that meal but will eat the next, the fish will not and will just starve to death.
[/quote]

Okay i respect that view, but its kind of ironic, you have to kill another fish just to let one fish survive becasue its hungry LOL

[You try and get a fish that will not eat and is practically going to die unless you give it food, to wean onto dead foods. Especially fish that are ambush predators and will only take moving food, in the shape of fish and that are also very shy. So no, you can probably just say to a child "you'll go with then" and they might not eat that meal but will eat the next, the fish will not and will just starve to death.

Okay i respect that view, but its kind of ironic, you have to kill another fish just to let one fish survive becasue its hungry LOL
Oh no, your right, no fish ever get eaten in the wild. No fish ever dies for human consumption. Whats the problem with killing a fish so another survives. Some fish are predatory and only eat... YES OTHER FISH, so basically your saying these fishes natural instincts should be ignored and instead it should be given something made in a factory. Great idea! :dodgy:

Why not?
Not enough room in a tank for them to hunt properly.

Should predator fish be kept in tanks no.

Why not? :unsure:
Good question. Basically Wilder is saying that the fish should be left in the wild, and the only place a fish should eat other fish is in the wild.. Wilder, that would kill the fish hobby for 80% of the fish keepers. Just because they are predatory doesn't mean we shouldn't keep them, we just need to feed them different foods, just because you can't bring yourself to do it, doesn't mean others can't. Guess most lizards and snakes shouldn't be sold, they are predators!

Why not?
Um... By hunting properly you mean stocking a large tank and letting them catch 1 fish out of 50 on their own. Instead of using a tank thats fine for the fish and just feeding it the 1 fish and saving yourself the trouble.

I balance thiamiase by giving 2-3 pellets to the frog a day. If I fed soley on pellets she would probably eat around 20, which is a pain.
Also, bare bottom tanks aren't as practical as people say. There is no area for useful bacteria to breed except in the water, and it doesn't look quite as nice unless its done in just the perfect way, with lights etc. I had her on bare bottom and it just meant it didn't look as natural.

And yea, you did put words in my mouth. I NEVER said, feeding goldfish to an oscar was ok, I said feeding fish to an oscar is ok. Huge difference. One specifies type of fish one doesn't.

No, that does not balance anything, the thiamiase is still going into the fishes body, no? How will the pellets stop that from happening?

Nitrifing bacteria grow in the filter mainly where they get the water flow, bringing them a lot of oxygen and more food, so there will be more bacteria in the filter than anywhere else in the tank.

I used an example, big difference.

Next question: are minnows part of a frogs natural diet and if so how much of it do they make up of the frogs diet?

LOL to the great idea!!!

LOL some fish will certainly eat only other fish as long as thats what there owners feed them, if you dont want to ignore the fish's "natural instincts" then why dont you take it back to the amazon on a plane LOL

Why not?

OK, thank you for replying. I understand what you're saying and agree to a point, actually. Either way, I respect your opinion.

I would say that that most of us, no matter what fish we keep, aren't giving it enough room for their real life needs, foraging, breeding etc.

Some cichlids patrol a certain area in the wild, large aquaria is much larger than the small area they would protect for day to day life and breeding.

Community fish expect to make a nest and have a female go by every hour or two and if it doesn't want to mate, she gets kicked out, so another female can come by that may want to. In our aquariums we aren't giving males this opportunity but we don't say not to keep them in aquariums because of that.

Please don't consider this as argumentative but moreso playing devil advocate. I can't learn anything if I don't read your guys' opinions. :)

Good question. Basically Wilder is saying that the fish should be left in the wild, and the only place a fish should eat other fish is in the wild.. Wilder, that would kill the fish hobby for 80% of the fish keepers. Just because they are predatory doesn't mean we shouldn't keep them, we just need to feed them different foods, just because you can't bring yourself to do it, doesn't mean others can't. Guess most lizards and snakes shouldn't be sold, they are predators!
I love animals so I wouldn't want to keep a predator fish.
But fine them who do, but still don't believe in feeding them live fish, there in a false enviroment anyway, are they happy in tanks when they need live foods, your'e feeding fish to them, can't see them getting the same pleasure as they would in the wild,chasing and hunting there own foodl.

No, that does not balance anything, the thiamiase is still going into the fishes body, no? How will the pellets stop that from happening?
Because, in the pellets im pretty sure there is vitamin b1, so instead of it just sucking the frog dry, the frog also gets the vitamins from the pellets. You put in 50% thiamnese, you put in 50% b1, your going to end up with them canceling eachother out.
Nitrifing bacteria grow in the filter mainly where they get the water flow, bringing them a lot of oxygen and more food, so there will be more bacteria in the filter than anywhere else in the tank.
I don't use filters. I do water changes.
I used an example, big difference.

Next question: are minnows part of a frogs natural diet and if so how much of it do they make up of the frogs diet?
Are these minnows a part of the frogs natural diet - no, but they are whats available to me and the closest thing I can get. Oh, and how much do pellets and flakes make up of the natural fishes diet = NONE.

LOL to the great idea!!!

LOL some fish will certainly eat only other fish as long as thats what there owners feed them, if you dont want to ignore the fish's "natural instincts" then why dont you take it back to the amazon on a plane LOL
Yea, because it eats other fish we certainly can't keep it. Remember guys if its not sold in a can it isn't good for your fish. Please child.. Lets see: buy a fish, STARVE IT, risk its death, or give it some feeders which are more natural for it to eat.. Hard choice, quick lets ask wardley to produce "feeder fish in a can".

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back