Live Foods.

Yea, because I feed my ACF minnows I'm a twit. By putting in large quanaties of minnows I can rest assured knowing she can eat what she wants, then leave the rest for when she is hungry again. With pellets who knows how many she wants to eat, and the ones she doesn't, if they will sink and rot. Feeding live food is more practical in some cases.
Does an oscar occasionally eat a fish in the wild? Yes. Its not like the person is throwing in 2 dozen fish a week for the oscar. One fish now and then mimics what it might naturally come across. Yea, it can't escape, but neither can the injured fish it eats. Both ways it ends up eating a single fish. The fish in the tank, just got unlucky.

Now that I feel is pointless. The use of feeders for an African clawed frog is completely unneeded in my experience. Do you know the consequences of using minnows as feeders? Do you completely ensure these feeders have a good diet prior to being fed to your frog? Do you know where they've come from if you haven't bred them, to make sure disease possibilities are erased? You could just feed a suitable amount of dead food for it and remove any uneaten food, until you start to gauge how much she is eating each time.

Even ill fish in the wild have a chance of escape if the fish threatening it gets distracted or attacked itself, yes it will only be a short time before something gets it, but there is a chance it can escape that once.

Yea, because I feed my ACF minnows I'm a twit. By putting in large quanaties of minnows I can rest assured knowing she can eat what she wants, then leave the rest for when she is hungry again. With pellets who knows how many she wants to eat, and the ones she doesn't, if they will sink and rot. Feeding live food is more practical in some cases.
Does an oscar occasionally eat a fish in the wild? Yes. Its not like the person is throwing in 2 dozen fish a week for the oscar. One fish now and then mimics what it might naturally come across. Yea, it can't escape, but neither can the injured fish it eats. Both ways it ends up eating a single fish. The fish in the tank, just got unlucky.

Now that I feel is pointless. The use of feeders for an African clawed frog is completely unneeded in my experience. Do you know the consequences of using minnows as feeders? Do you completely ensure these feeders have a good diet prior to being fed to your frog? Do you know where they've come from if you haven't bred them, to make sure disease possibilities are erased? You could just feed a suitable amount of dead food for it and remove any uneaten food, until you start to gauge how much she is eating each time.

Even ill fish in the wild have a chance of escape if the fish threatening it gets distracted or attacked itself, yes it will only be a short time before something gets it, but there is a chance it can escape that once.
No, I don't know the history of the minnows, but I've been using them just fine and I watch them in the tank for signs of illness for awhile. So I'm confident they are healthy. It may be uneeded, but I know my frog enjoys it. Dead food costs more in the long run, is harder to clean up/maintain. So for me its a lot easier to feed live.
So? Will the wild oscar most likely eat some fish sometime? Your putting it in an aquarium and never giving it fish like its natural habitat, your not taking in account the ones that it DOES eat. You cant just say all the fish might get away and never give them the fish because it has no escape. The fish with no escape represents the fish the larger predatory fish WOULD HAVE at some point eaten in the wild.

But putting your own ease before the welfare of the frog?

The Oscar is not exactly going to eat a goldfish in the wild though is it? Well it wouldn't unless some person has released them locally.

The Oscar is not exactly going to eat a goldfish in the wild though is it? Well it wouldn't unless some person has released them locally.
My frog has grown over an inch in the last 2 months. How am I putting my own ease before the welfare of the frog? Minnows = more water changes. Just because I am feeding live food doesn't mean I'm neglecting my frog.
I didn't say specifically goldfish, feed them a fish from their natural environment. However, last I checked this was a topic on Live foods in general, not just goldfish. I never said feeding goldfish was ok for an oscar. I stated live food once and awhile is. Learn to read.

My frog has grown over an inch in the last 2 months. How am I putting my own ease before the welfare of the frog? Minnows = more water changes. Just because I am feeding live food doesn't mean I'm neglecting my frog.
I didn't say specifically goldfish, feed them a fish from their natural environment. However, last I checked this was a topic on Live foods in general, not just goldfish. I never said feeding goldfish was ok for an oscar. I stated live food once and awhile is. Learn to read.

Now let's not get personal or upset. :good:

jayjay has always been polite and civil in all his posts I've ever seen.

It's not often we can have a debate about a hot topic like this and I like reading everyones posts and we can all learn from one another. :)

can we please just express our oppinion or at least some friendly debating before this turns into a brutal argument resulting in its deleation. :rolleyes:

And I will hint to you to learn to know the background to the subject before you say anything to me. Also if I learn to read, will you correct mistakes you make in your posts ;)

Taken from here.

disadvantage is that some feeder fish (notably goldfish and rosy-red minnows) contain large amounts of the enzyme thiaminase. This breaks down thiamin (vitamin B1) and over time this will lead to serious health problems.

Also one of your main reasons for feeders was they don't sink ant rot when uneaten, to me that would be you not cleaning up uneaten food, which would be for your ease, no? So if you don't mind cleaning up after all those feeders why not clean up that little bit of uneaten food each day?

So much for a friendly debate huh folks?

can we please just express our oppinion or at least some friendly debating before this turns into a brutal argument resulting in its deleation. :rolleyes:
its not out of hand yet, its a good debate IMO :-

At least a fish stands a chance of getting away in the wild, unlike a feeder fish in a tank.
Sorry just don't agree with feeding live fish.

Wilder, there is a need for some live fish as feeders or many fish would be unable to be kept alive.

Wilder, there is a need for some live fish as feeders or many fish would be unable to be kept alive.

Glad I don't keep them type of fish then.

LOL to the peeps who cry "nature"

i really do think 97% of peeps who use "feeder fish" do it for their own sick pleasure and usually have other unresolved in life too LOL, but there is always the 3% who dont do it for this (before peeps get defensive and agitated here LOL)

And I will hint to you to learn to know the background to the subject before you say anything to me. Also if I learn to read, will you correct mistakes you make in your posts ;)

Taken from here.

disadvantage is that some feeder fish (notably goldfish and rosy-red minnows) contain large amounts of the enzyme thiaminase. This breaks down thiamin (vitamin B1) and over time this will lead to serious health problems.

Also one of your main reasons for feeders was they don't sink ant rot when uneaten, to me that would be you not cleaning up uneaten food, which would be for your ease, no? So if you don't mind cleaning up after all those feeders why not clean up that little bit of uneaten food each day?

So much for a friendly debate huh folks?
1. Putting words in my mouth is different than me not giving a crap about my puncuation, spelling, or correct grammar. Big difference.
2. Yea, it has thiamiase, I'm fully aware of that as I have a garter snake that enjoys fish. I do not feed a staple of only fish, my frog gets pellets, and as of today will also begin getting tubifex, shrimp pellets, and plankton. Thiaminase can be balanced, and that is what I do.
Yea, doing a water change is a heck of a lot easier than trying to get uneaten food out of the rocks. I don't own a gravel vac (don't say buy one, because I'm not going to for awhile), so its a virtually impossible task to remove the bits of food from the water.

At least a fish stands a chance of getting away in the wild, unlike a feeder fish in a tank.
Sorry just don't agree with feeding live fish.
So you should never simulate the fish that doesn't get away in your tank?

Most reactions

trending

Back