Live Aragonite Sand For Freshwater

backtotropical

Retired Mod
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jul 9, 2007
Messages
4,481
Reaction score
4
Points
38
As per the title.

I have a spare tank sitting around which I was going to set up as a marine nano, but changed my mind. I had already bought the Aragonite sand and put it in the tank.

Does anyone know of any reason why I couldn't just empty the saltwater out and fill with freshwater? The marine tank was never set up, it was just saltwater with the sand in, so I don't need to worry about killing the bacteria or anything because there is none. I know the little critters which make it "Live" would die, but thats ok. I also know it will raise the pH.

Just wondering if theres anything which makes aragonite sand unsuitable for freshwater?

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
I used it in my DP tank and have had no issues. No raised PH or anything. Only snad my LFS had at the moment so I gave it a try. No issues after half a year of use.
 
Live sand is not a good idea for a FW tank. Everything in it will die and you'll need to cycle for an extended period of time to eliminate the waste from the die off.
 
Thanks guys. :good:

Loachman, I'm not so concerned with the die off as i'd be fishless cycling anyway, so the filter will have adequate time to cope with any die off.

BTT
 
Wont the sand have salt in it too?

Give it a rinse and it will be fine, but it will then just be expensive arogonite :fun: .
 

Most reactions

Back
Top