Lime Build Up

pat3612

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi Iam on a well which is nice because no clorine and my plants are growing really well but I keep getting a large buildup of lime on filter etc. Does anyone know of anything that will nutralize lime and wont hurt my little fishies Thanks Pat.
 
items can be soaed in vinegar or mild acid for a few hours, then rinsed off with fresh water.
There are a number of products out there designed to remove scale and lime build up from taps etc. They are generally an acid.
A lot of rust converters for cars (metal items) are phosphoric acid and that works well too. Use gloves and safety glasses when handling the stuff and make sure you are near a tap with clean running water in case you get some on you.
 
items can be soaed in vinegar or mild acid for a few hours, then rinsed off with fresh water.
There are a number of products out there designed to remove scale and lime build up from taps etc. They are generally an acid.
A lot of rust converters for cars (metal items) are phosphoric acid and that works well too. Use gloves and safety glasses when handling the stuff and make sure you are near a tap with clean running water in case you get some on you.
I was wondering if there was something I could add to the water if not I quess Ill have to change to spring water or bottled water. but thanks for your advice. Pat :)
 
no there isn't anything you can put in the water while the fish are there. It happens in lots of people's tanks, perticularly those who keep rift lake chichlids. The minerals just gradually build up over time and then one day you realise the glass is covered in limescale. it won't affect the filter unless it blocks the gaps that allow water to flow in and out. It just looks unsightly.
You could try snails. They might graze it off and they would certainly use the calcium in the water for their shells.
 
Hi Iam on a well which is nice because no clorine and my plants are growing really well but I keep getting a large buildup of lime on filter etc. Does anyone know of anything that will nutralize lime and wont hurt my little fishies Thanks Pat.
apart from what it looks like, is there really any need to remove it at all?
 
Hi Iam on a well which is nice because no clorine and my plants are growing really well but I keep getting a large buildup of lime on filter etc. Does anyone know of anything that will nutralize lime and wont hurt my little fishies Thanks Pat.
apart from what it looks like, is there really any need to remove it at all?
No I guess not I was just doing my reg. maintenance and It was pretty bad in the filter so I was concerned the filter might stop working by getting clogged but I quess Ill just keep an eye on it thanks Pat. :good:
 
No I guess not I was just doing my reg. maintenance and It was pretty bad in the filter so I was concerned the filter might stop working by getting clogged but I quess Ill just keep an eye on it thanks Pat. :good:
lol i hear that

i have found if you wipe the body when you do a clean, it helps keep the build up at bay. problem is the chemicals you may need to use, are, potentially, very nasty.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top