Lima's under 4''?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DannyBoy17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I saw a bunch of Lima Shovelnoses at Big Als Hamilton today. They were 11.99 CDN, but they were so small. I hear these can be very sensitive when they are young. Also, will my Oscar (5-7'') have a go at it?

--Dan

Lima's get quite big, but I wouldnt have thought your Oscar would have much of a go at it. They can grow quite quick so your Oscar will soon learn that a Lima can swallow a Bala shark if it really wants to! (just ask RVM!).

Ben

DannyBoy17 said:
Ya, my tank has too much Deco for one anyway. I better just get some nice plecs, or Spotted Ralphs ;) .

Cheers,

Dan
no raphaels. They are just extra bioload. Min ehasnt moved in teh daytime for months

IME, juvenile limas are very sensitive compared to other fish.

They take longer to acclimate and start eating. I bought a pair of 3-4 inch limas and one went on a hunger strike. I tried feeding everything, it would do nothing.

It looked like skin and bones, so i waited for it to die.
After a while it started eating though. Quite fragile at that size. I'd say you're better off getting a 6" +.

Lima's under 6" need to be kept in a small species tank which is easy to keep clean and where they can be left to feed without compettition from other fish, i found that if left with a couple of small live fish in a dark room even small fussy limas would feed after a couple of hours. If kept with other non feeder fish then often small limas will just refuse to hunt and starve to death.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back