Lighting For 6 Foot Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SPO-00L

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The marine tank is nearly ready to put water in, i bought this light assembly (got it for a decent price second hand), just wondering if it will do the trick for keeping corals in

The tank is a 6x2x2.5 (just under 2.5 actually, more like 2 and a quarter)

3x 250W Metal Halide lamps
4x T5 39W light tubes
3x LED Moon lights

Ill take pictures of the actual unit when it gets here (in the next couple of days), but judging by the description, will it be enough?

Cheers, Trent

Unit got here today. Here are some pics of it

04022010355.jpg

04022010356.jpg

Do the LED's need to be on all the time? or just at night time? And do they stay on all night?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys :)

Cheers, Trent

is that a silver sun unit?

looks smart.

The LEDS could be on how ever you want them to be, personally i would run them for an hour or two before and after the main ones go out. Then maybe all day aswel if you can tell. But i woudlnt all night, waste of electric imo

Cheers Ben, im not too sure what brand it is. There are no stickers on it advertising anything apart from HLD-1800D2 - which i think just refers to the overall dimensions pretty much... Thanks for the advice on the lighting, one last question. Without coral in the tank at this stage (only live rock and fish), how many hours a day should the lights be kept on for? I was just thinking of setting the timer for 10-12 hours. And will adding coral require the lights to stay on for longer?

Cheers, Trent

It might be nice to have the LED's as moonlights, the T5's in the morning and late evening and all 3 on for the remainder of the day.... sort of a sunrise/midday/sunset/midnight thing. If you have nothing but LR in the tank, then you don't actually need the lights to be on at all at the moment.

you dont want halides on for 12 hours a day imo.

Id go something like

12:00 LEDS ON
1:00 T5's ON
2:00 Halides ON
10:00 Halides OFF
11:00 T5's OFF
12:00 LED's OFF

adjust times to suit you...but id only have the main halides on for 8 hours/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back