Fluval Aquasky 2.0, (w/Bluetooth).

Changing colors has an effect in what I see
Agree
and what plant response is.
Disagree.

I doubt most plants we have will react any differently based on purely the colour of the LEDS. As long as it is in roughly the right spectrum and has enough output I doubt playing with the colour does anything at all. At best you are just lowering/increasing PAR output which is the only thing that really matters. ***

Regarding blue light=Algae. I had that raised a lot when I kept reef/frag tanks right next to and above planted tanks with a lot of blue light overspill. I had no algae issues.

Light colour by itself doesn't cause algae, imbalances in light (intensity)/nutrients and plant growth are what cause algae. If the light is in the right range of colour spectrum for the plant to grow, then I don't believe that adjusting the blue part of it by X% is really going to effect anything to a noticeable degree

Again just my personal experience/opinion with no real scientific back up :)

*** Only maybe exception is for red plants with Red LEDS. I have seen this touted a lot and haven;t tested myself yet. I have however seen lovely red plants grown under real basic lamps though so suspect it is another "doesn't really matter". I did however make sure my LED unit had separate RGB LEDS though... :)

Here's my current setting in Pro that I posted somewhere else. Gives a better visual of what I was saying about periods of 0%.

Screenshot_20210918-191630_FluvalSmart.jpg

nutrients
You've got it my tanks got nutrients and minerals in it and in the corner of the living room way out of the window and with a pleco besides it keeps it ok.

My hubby goes mad doing fishing all his life, quoting his words 😱 No way should fish have different lightings in the tank 😬

Whilst the Plant Boost setting did what it said on the tin, it might've done it too well, because it boosted ALL plant life...including algae.
See i don't have that worry for live plants, tried it got no where so never gone there again. This is my tank with fish added but in dim light to wake them up but added more fish in their now.

Disagree.

I doubt most plants we have will react any differently based on purely the colour of the LEDS. As long as it is in roughly the right spectrum and has enough output I doubt playing with the colour does anything at all. At best you are just lowering/increasing PAR output which is the only thing that really matters.
I disagree with your disagreement. Also don't agree that PAR is everything. I agree that it matters, but feel that the extreme focus on it could fall in the category of latest fads.
Regarding blue light=Algae. I had that raised a lot when I kept reef/frag tanks right next to and above planted tanks with a lot of blue light overspill. I had no algae issues.

Light colour by itself doesn't cause algae, imbalances in light (intensity)/nutrients and plant growth are what cause algae. If the light is in the right range of colour spectrum for the plant to grow, then I don't believe that adjusting the blue part of it by X% is really going to effect anything to a noticeable degree
Again, have to disagree. Blue light, for me, absolutely affected algae growth. I had blue levels quite high and in less than a week had algae like I'd never seen. The only thing I adjusted was blue light, bringing it down to almost nothing, and the algae cleared up. I didn't change the intensity of any other color.

But same, no science experiment, just personal experience. Though I have read things aligning with my experience. (maybe even on here?)

Whilst the Plant Boost setting did what it said on the tin, it might've done it too well, because it boosted ALL plant life...including algae.
Yeah. I'm guessing "plant boost" is basically just "turn everything all the way up, maybe make the colours a little wavy looking on the spectrum though so it looks more scientific. :)

Would be fun to have a few of these lights and run the same plants/conditions with different light settings.

Hey, if anyone out there is from fluval and wants to supply the kit I would be happy to put some youtube videos together for it :)

See i don't have that worry for live plants, tried it got no where so never gone there again. This is my tank with fish added but in dim light to wake them up but added more fish in their now.
Now this. Have back and forth discussions over lighting an plant growth, highjacking your discussion, and plants aren't even a concern. 🤦‍♂️

It's a very nice tank, but curious as to why you would spend the money on something like the aquasky if not for plants?

Again, have to disagree. Blue light, for me, absolutely affected algae growth. I had blue levels quite high and in less than a week had algae like I'd never seen. The only thing I adjusted was blue light, bringing it down to almost nothing, and the algae cleared up. I didn't change the intensity of any other color.
Except by reducing the Blue light you probably also reduced the PAR. As the Blue LEDS are probably pretty high output its probably a pretty big jump in PAR reduction by cutting them down to almost nothing.

Of course the only way to know would be to test it.

Yeah. I'm guessing "plant boost" is basically just "turn everything all the way up, maybe make the colours a little wavy looking on the spectrum though so it looks more scientific. :)

Would be fun to have a few of these lights and run the same plants/conditions with different light settings.

Hey, if anyone out there is from fluval and wants to supply the kit I would be happy to put some youtube videos together for it :)
I think you need a bigger audience before you get the free stuff!

Blue light, for me, absolutely affected algae growth
Well i don't have this issue and just double checked myself and this is what it says, i just think it's down to the individuals tank, as all aquariums are different.

The primary reason to have ambient blue lighting in an aquarium is to mimic the moonlight. Blue lighting illuminates the aquarium and encourages the physical activity of its inhabitants. Blue lighting also doesn’t affect the day and night cycle of the fish, nor does it contribute to algae growth.

https://jaljeev.com/why-does-an-aquarium-have-blue-light/

Now this. Have back and forth discussions over lighting an plant growth, highjacking your discussion, and plants aren't even a concern. 🤦‍♂️

It's a very nice tank, but curious as to why you would spend the money on something like the aquasky if not for plants?
When i brought the tank the lights came with it, the Fluval 307 canister, fluval heater etc so i had no choice and it was the cabinet and tank layout that took my eye.

https://fluvalaquatics.com/uk/shaker/

Well i don't have this issue and just double checked myself and this is what it says, i just think it's down to the individuals tank, as all aquariums are different.

The primary reason to have ambient blue lighting in an aquarium is to mimic the moonlight. Blue lighting illuminates the aquarium and encourages the physical activity of its inhabitants. Blue lighting also doesn’t affect the day and night cycle of the fish, nor does it contribute to algae growth.

https://jaljeev.com/why-does-an-aquarium-have-blue-light/
Blue light as "moonlight" is a gimmick. In nature, moonlight doesn't penetrate more than a few inches below the water surface... and that's with a full moon, no cloud cover. Having blue light on does not count as the total darkness that fish need for rest (critters of the night not included).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back