light yes no

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GURLY

Reaction score
:unsure: do fry need light righ now their a week old and i leave the light on for 30 minutes a day sure not to make water to warm does it need to be more or less or just the same. do they even need light help please :sad:

they need light a lot of light, 12 hours minumum if they dont get enough light they will have back deformedes and that is that good at all ive had no problems with incandisnt lights which i think you are talking about, if they are in a tank with no heater it will help....good luck

GURLY,

At first I wondered why you were asking this question; then I saw where you live. I have family in Las Vegas so I know that it has been getting much hotter than 100 degrees this summer. :hyper:

If you don't have air conditioning, you will have to try to keep the temperature in your tank down any way you can. If this means leaving the light off then you will have to do that. However, I hope they are not in a dark place. If possible, keep them in a bright room, but not right near a window.

As a general rule, when in doubt, try to make the environment for the fish as much like their natural state as possible. This means that they need a daytime and a night. But it doesn't necessarily mean they need a hot light fixture with a very bright light on top of them.

At least it's September so the worst of the summer weather is probably over.:nod:

thanx alot for all your help i think i will start leaving the windows open so its gets some light (not really close to window) and keep the air conditioning on during the day so it wont get to warm. i think i will still give it a little artificial light hopefully they survive. thanx a million

Gurly,

The fry do not need bright light. Just the normal light that tells them night from day :)

If you have any live plants in your tank they need light to grow. People prefer to use flourescent lighting as its cheaper to use and does not give out much heat. Sunlight falling directly onto the tank encourages algae growth. Hence fishkeepers use artificial light which they can control.

The light is mainly for our viewing pleasure if you have fake plants :D

Hope this helps.

I've heard about the ice cube trick, but I'm not sure it's a good idea. I would only do it if the tank was seriously overheated and I needed to lower it to save the lives of the fish.

This is because, while fish all have a range of temperatures that they can live and thrive at, they should have a consistant temperature or a gradual change. I would be concerned that a too rapid change might shock them and leave them in a weakened condition. This could happen if the temperature of the entire tank is quickly lowered, but I also think that it might happen if a fish swims from a warm part of the tank to the area around the ice cubes which will be very cold.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back