Life Span Of A Silver Dollar?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hensonc4098

Fish Herder
Reaction score
We have 3 silver dollars - 2 are about 9 years old but the old man is 16.
Just wondering how long they live (and how much longer I have to put up with their daftness :rolleyes: :lol:)

Claire

The silver dollar can live for about 10 years,but if well care for they can reach for 12 years!!but your silver dollar lived for 16 years :hyper: you had been doing a great job caring for it.

This is an old post, but just to reiterate, 3 of my 4 silver dollars are at least 13 years old. I got them from a pet store as young adults 12 years ago. The previous owner had "surrendered" them and I got them for free. :D I figure they must be at least 13. The fourth is the offspring of a mating pair I had. (The mom died of a tumor at the ripe old age of 10, I still have the dad). They had about 14 surviving little ones that I gave away and just kept one of them. I started out with 6 SDs, but two of them died prematurely, one of a tumor and the other one (I assume) of a broken spine, when it jumped into the top glass in the middle of the night and died instantly.

This is an old post, but I am a 'silver dollar freak', so for what it is worth...
Silver dollars live long lives, several decades.
However, I am sure there are important differences among the various general and species. In addition, longevity in captivity (if well kept) is almost certainly longer than in the wild, due to the absence of predators, protection from external and internal parasites, etc.
I can only speak of direct experience with Metynnis dollars. However, the longest life I heard of was about a specimen of Mylossoma duriventre, reportedly living to 40 years in captivity.
I have 3 specimens of Metynnis maculatus who are 26 years old.

Mine just past away today she was almost 13 years old. These fish are super hardy! love them so much.

We have 3 silver dollars - 2 are about 9 years old but the old man is 16.
Just wondering how long they live (and how much longer I have to put up with their daftness :rolleyes: :lol:)

Claire
Hello. This is hard to say. With near nitrogen free water conditions, the immune system of any fish can stay strong for many years. I change out a lot of water weekly and my fish live longer than the average. Fish are no different than people. If you're blessed with good genetics and get good care, you can live a long time.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back