LFS conspiracy

wolfie33

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

Can i just say that through my experiences of breeding fish never before have i seen such a lack of females in all my lfs.
mine have non of the following females and havent had ffor a long time.

BETTA SPLENDENS
3 SPOT GOURAMI'S
DWARF GOURAMI'S
GUPPY'S
PEARL GOURAMI'S
KRIBS
FIREMOUTH'S
infact most of the only male/female pairs they have are when the difference is to hard to tell.

AND THE CONSPIRACY
it's my opinion that if they were to sell a know pair then they will pressume that it's for breeding purposes and if you were succesfull at the breeding then they run the risk that you won't buy anymore of that fish and also there is a risk you may give some away which will lead to the fish not being sold to that person.

AND THE CONCLUSION
well i understand they do have to make money and i'm sure not all lfs do this but from around my area its like a jurrasic park mentality of one sex only with the odd female somtimes slipping through.

I do hope that an lfs worker or owner could explain to me why this is becoming a more fashionable trend

try going further a field for the females u need.

or try and order females with one of the lfs u use mostly.

must admit they seem like they are only going for the males, but i went to different fish stores further out and found some that do keep both sexes.

the other reason you tend to only see males of many of these fish is that the males are often more brightly colored or have a more sharply defined pattern or longer fins, etc than the females, which means the male fish are more attractive to the average consumer and will therefore sell better. i asked about this when i first looked into dwarf gouramis, as i had been advised to get a matched pair if i could. i was told that females just don't sell as well. for example, many lfs do sell female guppies, but they require that when you buy a male you also buy a female, as the females wouldn/'t really sell otherwise.......

agreed, its' the same as the betats. only specialized fish stores will carry female betats becuase they're not half as beaitful and attractive/colorful as the males. Therefore, to an average customer (not fish freaks like us :D) they don't sell as well.

None of the major chain pet stores here will carry female bettas. I only talk about them becuase theyr'e the only fish i know lol.

wolfie33 said:
Hi

Can i just say that through my experiences of breeding fish never before have i seen such a lack of females in all my lfs.
mine have non of the following females and havent had ffor a long time.

BETTA SPLENDENS
3 SPOT GOURAMI'S
DWARF GOURAMI'S
GUPPY'S
PEARL GOURAMI'S
KRIBS
FIREMOUTH'S
infact most of the only male/female pairs they have are when the difference is to hard to tell.

AND THE CONSPIRACY
it's my opinion that if they were to sell a know pair then they will pressume that it's for breeding purposes and if you were succesfull at the breeding then they run the risk that you won't buy anymore of that fish and also there is a risk you may give some away which will lead to the fish not being sold to that person.

AND THE CONCLUSION
well i understand they do have to make money and i'm sure not all lfs do this but from around my area its like a jurrasic park mentality of one sex only with the odd female somtimes slipping through.

I do hope that an lfs worker or owner could explain to me why this is becoming a more fashionable trend
Tell me son, what do you grow on that farm of yours?

your right
but i honestly cant find the fish i named ,i phoned prectically all the lfs within 20 miles or so and they all came back with the same "so only males at the moment"
i suppose it's an effective way to deal with potential threats to the buisness side of it.
i once had the owner of the lfs come around my house and asked me if i'd give the zebra's i bred for some lfs credit rater than give them for free to all my local fishkeeping mates who also used his shop,he was very honest about it and said that it was costing him,,so i did and he was happy and so was i.
but now he has seemed to move the goalposts in the way that i can't seem to get any females anymore and therefore he doesnt buy them.

I have on the go now in my breeding tanks
1 batch betta's
1 very large batch dalmation molly's(along with 20 baby kribs)3ft tank
1 batch of rosy barbs.

AND HE AINT GETTING ANY OF THEM

lol...breed mollies, they are easy to find females for.

*glazed look as starts to dream about how men would cope in a world without women.* :blink:

:lol: very funny, wolfie.

wanna hear a funny joke? actually, better not, its biased against blokes.

Its was funny, your comment :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

still laughing

i've seen it happen a lot too. it's a bit of a combination between selling power and reproductive power. luckily my lfs is under new management and is getting more variety, including female bettas

it's REALLY tough to find female Endler's - some sellers just don't want you to breed them

....man i really have to hold myself back from telling some dirty jokes - this topic could really open up the floodgates ...

I was considering dwarf gouramis for my tank when i was working out the stocking, ran into the same problem. Not only did none of the stores near me carry females, they couldn't even order me a female. They said females were no longer offered by the distributor and they had no local source.

or
perhaps the govmnt has listening devices planted in the females and the lfs refuses to carry them to hinder the govmnts plan?

tho it could just b that female fish are generally not as colorful and attractive and don't sell as well as males...

hm

the plot thickens

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back