Let the silent cycle commence!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

My brine shrimp are hatching by the minute! So interesting to watch. There are a lot now.
Ok @Bruce Leyland-Jones , anyway I told my mum that I want to wait until the water cut is over. She seems totally cool with that. So yup my tetras are settled in my 55g and look so good and happy in there!
So.... I think frogbit is supposed to be classified as a 'fast growing plant'. 15 pcs of frogbit became this over 3 weeks😳
frogbit is multiplying.JPEG

My brine shrimp are hatching by the minute! So interesting to watch. There are a lot now.
On the backs of old American superhero comics, (Batman, Superman, et al), there used to be enticing adverts for 'Sea Monkeys'.

Sea Monkeys.jpg

Unfortunately, being in Blighty, we couldn't get hold of these and we wanted them soo much.

Later in life, as a I grew up, I learned that these were actually brine shrimp! :oops::oops::oops:

On the backs of old American superhero comics, (Batman, Superman, et al), there used to be enticing adverts for 'Sea Monkeys'.

View attachment 145484

Unfortunately, being in Blighty, we couldn't get hold of these and we wanted them soo much.

Later in life, as a I grew up, I learned that these were actually brine shrimp! :oops::oops::oops:
I was telling my friend about breeding something called brine shrimp and she thought she knew and mentioned sea-monkeys, I was like huh?! Then I found out too!

Ok, just fed the brine shrimp yeast, gave the fish a few of the bbs for breakfast, which they devoured instantly and with great gusto. What I like about this is that this food is also good for them. For birds(budgies especially-which I used to have), what they like is not good for them. They are very picky! Well except for my birds-they ate veggies as if it is a treat.

Bottom middle is the fish I would be watching.
Ok. They are all fine and love to play with the current, so I put my HOB filter setting to high(also to keep the temp cool coz the hot days are here) and they loved it! Kept swimming under the current, turning back, doing a full loop all over again. So lovely to watch. I will send a vid. Btw, I got the next 6 fish yesterday, they are all alive this morning. None are showing any odd behavior. Will keep in them in the QT for a few days, then move them to the big aquarium.

Ok. They are all fine and love to play with the current, so I put my HOB filter setting to high(also to keep the temp cool coz the hot days are here) and they loved it! Kept swimming under the current, turning back, doing a full loop all over again. So lovely to watch. I will send a vid. Btw, I got the next 6 fish yesterday, they are all alive this morning. None are showing any odd behavior. Will keep in them in the QT for a few days, then move them to the big aquarium.
Is your QT tank planted and the water parameters the same as your main tank?

So this is the video of my fish playing with the current(they actually have red noses-please excuse the camera quality).
And the brine shrimp(stored in bottles as directed by the kit- though I had a container, put most in there, with water, added salt, and fed them yeast. )
I also made a video of my journey throughout this process.

Ok so...
All my new 6 fish are alive.
Ever since I changed my substrate, my pH has only gone to 7.4 and stayed there. The same water source is distributed throughout Malaysia so I do not have to use drip acclimation. So my fish doing fine.
Much like @AquaBarb , my parameters are:
5 dGH
1-2 KH
7.4 pH
My recent testing....
First day after getting them
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10ppm
Next day
Ammonia: 0.15
Nitrate: 5ppm
Today:
Ammonia: 0.15
Nitrate: 0
I do water changes if the ammonia levels are higher than 0.
I will move them to the 55g tomorrow or the day after(I made it in bold so that it will not go unnoticed)

Last edited:
Already moved the fish to the 55g. All happy. They have big bellies after eating(like protruding)I think overfeeding so gonna cut down on food.
I found out they are Hemigrammus Rhodostomus and are 'true' rummy nose tetras. Does this mean they are hardier than the more common Hemigrammus Bleheri?
EDIT: I found out that they are much smaller than Hemmigrammus Bleheri which makes me kinda upset now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back