Need help with my cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Proberge4273

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Iā€™m just looking for some pointers on my fish in cycle not by my choice but I acquired a mistreated 29 gallon tank with 3 Cory cats, one African Cichlid, and a long fin tetra. I would put these guys in my 55 gallon tank that is cycled but I fear that my bigger fish in that tank will eat them alive since the fish in the 29 gallon are only a couple inches big.

My cycle started really good and my ammonia was reducing at a rapid rate to which it is at a constant 0ppm reading but for the past couple of weeks I have been dealing with high nitrite and increasing of nitrite fast. I would do a big water change and the next day my readings would be around the same to even more. My nitrate on the other hand is increasing very slowly and has been only around 10-20ppm. Dosing prime and stability daily to keep the fish safe.

Iā€™m just looking for pointers on my next steps. Continue todo water changes to bring nitrite down to a comfortable level, or should I continue to dose prime and stability daily and leave my tank alone until more nitrates appear? Any pointers will help thank you.

Attached is my recent parameters and a 80 percent water change was done yesterday around 2pm.

Attachments

• IMG_1424.jpeg
    IMG_1424.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 24
You are doing great, Continue your schedule until nitrite goes down and nitrates comes up !!!

Ooops there's fish in there... Continue water changes, to keep nitrite at bearable levels until they start to drop.

You are doing great, Continue your schedule until nitrite goes down and nitrates comes up !!!

Ooops there's fish in there... Continue water changes, to keep nitrite at bearable levels until they start to drop.
Alright sounds good Iā€™ll keep up with water changes. But when I do them I can get my nitrites below 1 ppm but it shoots up the next day to 2-5ppm is this normal? I just have never seen ammonia convert that fast before

At this point of your cycle, You should keep the nitrite as high as possible, --> Without hurting your fishes, That means, just below tolerable levels... But, cutting too much (with water changes) will prevent the buildup of your secondary bacteria army. From food deprivation. And will make it longer to cycle... In fact you could make it last for ever if you want with water changes... Your goal is to damp the nitrite spike just enough for your fish to go trough without harm.

Fishes can stand a very high level of stress... for a very short time... But long and constant weight on the spine is sure to get them.

Salt can help mitigate the effects of nitrite. This explains how to use the salt.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back