Leopard Bush Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ripley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all,

As part of a push to redo my tank, I recently purchased a Leopard Bush Fish, appropriately (if not unoriginally) named Spot. At the moment my dear little Spot is only about an inch long, and the smallest fish in my tank. I'm very aware that this will change, and that the current occupants of said tank are going to have to be rehomed (which was the plan before, anyway). I'm already so attached to this little fish - he's so amusing to watch. His 'leaf' impression is just adorable! And he's getting the hang of having to do a little less 'leaf' and a little bit more 'snatch the food before the greedy guppies get it'. He's also becoming less shy, and swimming about the front of the tank at feeding time.

Anyway, my question!

I'm curious as to what you guys feel would be suitable tank-mates for Spot once he grows up? The tank is a 33 gallon. It's current occupants are listed in my signature. I feel that they will all have to go, but thoughts on that are appreciated! (The honey gourami's will be moved into the 10 gallon, but I'm planning on giving away everything else) I'm not looking for a ton of fish, but a nice, suitable combination would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

A couple pictures of Spot!
IMG_4796.jpg

IMG_4794b.jpg

Go with one or two more of "Spots", a couple spiny eels (like peacocks or tire tracks, or something), and a couple of catfish (smaller type of synodontis perhaps?).

~ Wonderboy!

PS - I tried.... but that's harder to think about than I thought it would be. haha.

I kept this species for many years. It's a lovely, lovely fish. Peaceful, incredibly hardy, and very long lived (I gave mine away to someone on this board after they were about ten years old and showed no signs of old age!).

As far as tankmates go, there's two things to bear in mind. Firstly, yes, they will eat small fish. To be fair, fish are only a treat for wild specimens, as mostly these fish eat mosquito larvae and other aquatic insects, but they won't say no to a guppy or danio. Secondly, they are incredibly gentle fish (like most predatory fish actually) and basically want to be left alone. I'd never mix them with territorial cichlids, for example, or thuggish catfish like some of the big Synodontis. With this in mind, I'd tend to think along the lines of Australian rainbowfish, dwarf upside down catfish, small bichirs or ropefish, bristlenose plecs, Corydoras, peaceful gouramis, etc. I kept mine with Polypterus palmas, Synodontis nigrita, Congo tetras, and Chrysichthys ornatus. They also work well with other peaceful climbing perch, such as Ctenopoma fasciolatum. I'd keep them away from anything nippy, like tiger barbs, black widow tetras, or pufferfish.

These fish really are lovely animals, but one thing you'll notice is that the bigger the tank, the more outgoing they are. If they feel cramped, they hide. So since 33 gallons is fairly small for a fish that can get to 15 cm in length, be careful how you decorate the tank. What these fish like is some hiding places (tall plants, ideally) but also swimming space that is not out in the open. Vallisneria (real or plastic) with leaves that trail across the surface is ideal. Their colour pattern is the clue: these fish have evolved to hide in the shadows, and their camouflage is meant to blend in with mottled light and shade among the plants. So, any aquarium space that isn't covered with plants or some other source of shade will basically be ignored by these fish. Hence, even if you have a big tank, if just a bit of it is shady, this species will feel cramped because it's stuck under those shadows and can't use the rest.

Also, they like friends. Ideally, keep them in a group of three or more. While they are a bit territorial, they do hang out together, and will form stable pairs, though identifying males and females is very difficult. It's actually rather nice to see them interact. Fish will "mouth" one another on the flanks. No harm seems to be done, and even stable pairs do this, so it seems more about forming the social status than anything else.

Bloodworms -- live or frozen -- are their absolute favourite food, and can be used as staple. Flake and pellets are rarely taken, if ever. Earthworms make a welcome treat!

Cheers, Neale

I'm curious as to what you guys feel would be suitable tank-mates for Spot once he grows up? The tank is a 33 gallon. It's current occupants are listed in my signature. I feel that they will all have to go, but thoughts on that are appreciated! (The honey gourami's will be moved into the 10 gallon, but I'm planning on giving away everything else) I'm not looking for a ton of fish, but a nice, suitable combination would be awesome.

Thanks for the reply Neale! :D

I appreciate all your suggestions for tankmates for Spot. I have a bit of time yet before I have to decide, so I'll be taking my time and figuring out what I want and what is available. I knew that 33 gallons would be a bit on the small side, but I probably do have the option of upgrading (oooh yeah, parents would be pleased about that one!!) or possibly moving him into one of my boyfriend's tanks that he'll hopefully have set up in spring (probably a 50 or 75 gallon). Or if that does not happen, make sure to keep the tank sparsely stocked. I had read that they love to hide amongst plants and driftwood - and for the moment, with him being so small, he can easily zoom amongst my plants and hide in the terra cotta pots or under the leaves. But it is definitely something I will keep in mind as he ages. (Pictured below is a picture of my tank from November. At this point, there are silk plants in it, but I might get brave and try real sometime soon)

One question though, you mention that they like to have friends. But, on another site ( http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Ctenopoma_acutirostre.php ) it is mentioned to only keep on per tank. I would think that in a tank like my 33, keeping only one would be better so they do not feel cramped? Thoughts on this? Experiences? ????

And yes! Spot loves bloodworms! As well as the brine shrimp. And I've seen him even eat flakes (when he manages to catch one, haha). I'm might just have to treat him with some earthworms when he gets a bit bigger.

IMG_4533.jpg

I'm sure it depends on a bunch of factors. All I can say is my two were problem-free for many years. Others may have different experiences. Mine never showed the least interest in flake, but your one eats it. So there's variation. Personally, I'd risk it since your fish is a juvenile and isn't likely to be at all aggressive. Let them grow up together, and see what happens.

By the way, two in a 33 gallon is just about acceptable, as they don't move about a huge amount and they are air breathers and swamp dwellers. As I said above, it's more about giving them shade and avoiding bullying tankmates that really counts. Mine lived most of their lives in a 20 gallon tank, and while that certainly isn't the right way to keep them, they weren't stunted or unhealthy. They are very slow growing compared with cichlids or gouramis. Probably related to the fact they are very long lived, too.

Cheers, Neale

One question though, you mention that they like to have friends. But, on another site ( http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Ctenopoma_acutirostre.php ) it is mentioned to only keep on per tank. I would think that in a tank like my 33, keeping only one would be better so they do not feel cramped? Thoughts on this? Experiences?

Ctenopomas are territorial so they will become aggressive with each other if overcrowded. They do enjoy each others' company in larger tanks or when kept in reasonably-sized groups (to spread out the hierarchy). I wouldn't personaly want to risk raising two ctenopomas that may not end up getting along. You'll have to return one then or rehome it. Also, if you get two males (and sexing them isn't going to be possible), you'll have more aggression issues if you get a pair or two females so you need to keep this in mind if you do choose to gamble.

Beautiful pics! I love these fish. I currently have a 60 gallon with 6 of these beauties. I actualy bought them several years ago (probably 4-5 now) but had to give them to a friend when I moved. I recently got them back and set them up in a tank with a bunch of upsidedown catfish, a pair of keyholes and a school of siamese algae eaters. The tank's heavily planted with a sand substrate and several ceramic pots. Mine didn't eat flake when I had them and I gave them frozen/live foods but it looks like I was spoiling them cause they'll now take everything :p

ctenepomas are awesome.. I don't have a leopard.. I have a larger species, but they are wicked fish.

Mine lives with larger cichlids, but it's about 5'' long..

If you're thinking of cichlids.. a keyhole might be an option.

I've not had a problem with my pair, reguards aggression, but then again I seem to have a male & female.
I think the trick is, if you want a group get them at the same time, adding one to another that has been
on its own for a while is where territory rights come into play.

Thanks for all your replies Neale, Sylvia, Vancouver [another Canadian, eh?] and The-Wolf!

I'm not sure yet (though I'll have to decide pretty soon) whether or not I want to risk getting another one. Because knowing how my luck runs, I'd get two that absolutely couldn't stand each other! :p

Thank you for your compliment on the pictures, Sylvia! Spot's still so tiny it's hard to get a good picture of him yet. I imagine your 60 gallon is amazing looking!! (Pictures?)

I like the suggestion for keyhole's, they're nice looking cichlids! Definitely going on my list of potential tankmates. I was wondering though about maybe an angel fish (or would one be too agressive)? Or Neale had suggested peaceful gourami's - anyone know of types that would work? Since the honey gourami's would be too small, and maybe the dwarfs too? So something like the gold, opaline, etc?

Thanks again everyone for your helpful suggestions/comments!

Unfortunately I can't post pictures - I have a digital camera but my computer isn't compatible with it. My picture-taking skills are terrible anyway so you're not missing much :p

A single angel wouldn't be a good idea - they tend to become rather aggressive - but a couple of same-sex fish would probably be ok. Still, they aren't the best option as your tank would be quite full then. Also, sexing them is pretty near impossible (at least for me!) so you could end up with a pair - and breeding angels are terrible bullies.

I wouldn't suggest opalines/golds or any other three-spot color morph (lavenders, blues, platinums etc - all are Trichogaster trichopterus color morphs) as they are rather aggressive.
Having said that, if you only want one gourami, a single one could work. It's difficult to say for certain because they vary, in terms of character, greatly.

Something like a moonlight gourami would be better (Trichogaster microlepis). Because these grow to 7", you should only realy get a single one so try to find a male if possible (sexing them is tricky but females are wider and deeper-bodied, males have pointier and longer dorsal fins - though this isn't always obvious - and the ventrals and eye rims of mature males are a bright red-orange whereas those of the females are yellow). These are also good at handling limmited aggression if necessary but are not bullies and should leave the ctenopoma alone.

Another, smaller, one you could try is the banded gourami (Colisa fasciata) though I'd be a little hesitant because these are very placid - you should get a trio (1 male, 2 females). They grow to 4". Pearl gouramies are similar behaviour-wise and surprisingly social but grow to 5" and could also work if you are willing to go for a small group. This is slightly problematic because you are limmited on space though.

Thank you again Sylvia!

That's what I was kind of figuring. But thank you for your helpful insight! I'll mark down those two types of gourami's as potential tankmates. I knew my somewhat limited tank size would be an issue - might just have to wrangle myself a new fish tank!

Since I have you here (well, kind of at least!) any thoughts on feeding Spot something like feeder guppies or the like when he gets larger? Because I do have some guppies now, so if I moved them to their own tank and raised the fry, I could have my very own selection of guppies for him to snack on. (Or possibly WCMM's if my boyfriend sets up a tank to raise those).

I'd be a little cautious of feeding fish to him to be honest. This isn't the sort of thing they'd eat in the wild so it wouldn't be a good idea to make this a staple anyway but my real concern would be the diseases that the guppies could carry that may effect the ctenopoma. I know you will be breeding them yourself but it's still risky because, while guppies have had an opporunity to develop some resistance to common aquarium fish diseases, the leopard ctenopoma has not as it is a more recen addition to the hobby. If you have excess fry now and again, you may as well give them to him - but I wouldn't breed them specificaly for that purpose.

Breeding your own feeder fish is, in fact, the only safe way to use feeders, and livebearers are by far the safest feeders to use being nutritionally balanced (unlike goldfish) and also free of spines (unlike cichlid fry). But there are pros and cons to using feeder fish regardless, which have been discussed elsewhere.

With respect, I have to disagree with Sylvia on guppies having developed resistance to diseases. For one thing, I'm not convinced they've been intensively bred for enough generations for such an effect to be significant. But moreover, the selection pressures have been towards colours and fancy finnage, and if anything aquarium strains of guppies are *less* hardy than the wild ones because of this. It's much more likely your wild-caught Ctenopoma will be overall much tougher animals, having been the product of natural selection rather than artificial selection.

Cheers, Neale

That they have been bred for enough generations to have developed resistence is something I am certain of. It is a surprisingly rapid process. However, you are correct that many modern strains are weaker than their wild counterparts because of all the breeding with respect to appearance alone and not hardiness - I had not considered that. :)

Hi Sylvia --

I think this is one of those "he's right, and she's right" things. On the one hand, there's no question that some species have become more tolerant (with respect to aquarium conditions) over time. Modern domesticated peppered catfish, angelfish, discus, and clownfish all standout as being better suited to aquarium life than their wild ancestors. These fish will tolerate a wider range of environmental conditions, breed more readily, and feed on a wider variety of foods. In short, they are easier to keep in many important ways.

On the other hand, to the best of my knowledge selection has always been in favour of superficial traits rather than internal ones. I have yet to hear of anyone breeding a "hardier" guppy or danio -- but everywhere you can see example of people breeding fish with longer fins, in new colours, towards an albino or melanistic form, or whatever. Artificial selection also favours animals than reach sexual maturity more quickly, and this means they tend to be physically smaller (even if sexually mature) than the wild type. The classic examples are angelfish and peppered catfish, which are both far smaller in their domesticated varieties than in their wild form. Fancy guppies are certainly much, much less hardy than wild guppies, and more reliant on good water quality to stay healthy. (Guppies have long since stopped being "ideal beginner's fish".)

Hence, while I agree that breeding over the last few decades has probably resulted in livebearers that adapt better to aquarium life, I don't believe at all that they are hardier in terms of tolerating suboptimal water conditions or being resistant to opportunistic parasites and bacteria. This may also be true for many labyrinth fish, particularly dwarf gouramis, though I'd bow to your better knowledge in such cases.

Cheers, Neale

That they have been bred for enough generations to have developed resistence is something I am certain of. It is a surprisingly rapid process. However, you are correct that many modern strains are weaker than their wild counterparts because of all the breeding with respect to appearance alone and not hardiness - I had not considered that. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back