Lemon Tetra's

KeddyPie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was going to get a school of 4 or 5 lemon tetra's for my new aquarium once it was cycled, but it was suggested that they were a bit nippy and might cause a problem with my betta. Are lemon tetra's nippy? If they are, are there any other small tetra's that are not realy bright in color that would go good in a 20 gallon aquarium with my betta?

Thanks, Katy

KeddyPie said:
Are lemon tetra's nippy?

IME yes they are very nippy
I'd put them on par with silver tips and colombians :/

KeddyPie said:
If they are, are there any other small tetra's that are not realy bright in color that would go good in a 20 gallon aquarium with my betta?

gold and Cochus blue tetra would be suitable;
but why have a tetra when dwarf danios would be the better option :whistle:

My mother has danio's in her tank. While they're very nice to look at, I really don't have a fondness for them ^_^ Though I'm always open for suggestions, I've always just pictures my first real tank having tetra's, and I don't want to stray too far from that image I have had in my head.

So, a no on the lemons. *goes to do some more research on what barbs and tetra's her local fishy store has, as they are the only store with HEALTHY, quality fish around here so her decisions must revolve around them*

KeddyPie said:
My mother has danio's in her tank.
which ones? there are 64 recognised species of danio
I'm guessing she has zebras as they are the most commonly kept ones
why not check out my website (link in sig) and take a look at the dwarf danio.
(warning turn on popup blocker)

She has blue danios. Long flowly fins, swim around at the top... I do like them, but also, I really want schooling fish... And simply by observation, most of the tetra's and barbs seem to be more into that then the Danios. But, I will do some research and check the site, just incase I change my mind ^_^ I'm not sure what danios my local store has, so if I find some kinds I like, I'll have to see what they have. They're not big on Danio stocks, and they are my only option for fish as of now, unless I decide to buy online, which I am not fond of.

If it's schooling fish you're after and not too bright in colour, how about harlequin rasboras? (I don't think they're nippy but please correct me anyone!). Not technically tetras but they do the same thing and they're lovely little things.

Oh, I adore the harlequin rasboras! I've seen them at my fish store and always noted to my boyfriend how adorable I thought they were, but never actually looked at the name of them ^_^ I just looked them up in google and saw the pictures. If they're not nippy, I will defenitly get those! I almost completly forgot how much I liked those, I would of asked what they were if I had remembered ^_^ Thanks for reminding me!

There aren't any really nippy/aggressive Rasboras. They are a very peaceful group of fish, one of my favourites.

Most tetras will nip if the mood takes them. The problem is that tetras have teeth in the front of their mouths, meaning a small nip from a tetra can do a bit of damage. Throat toothed fish like Cyprinids have to work at something to acheive the same degree.

I wouldn't say the Lemon Tetra is particulaly aggressive. More so then a Neon or Rummy Nose, but not in the same league as a Serpae for example - which is commonly offered as a good community fish.

I've never seen my lemons nip. They are great schoolers. They are the only larger tetra I have that doesn't seem to nip. The serpae are terrible nippers if the mood takes them. The lemons are my favorite schoolers of those I have.

I'm going to pick up 12 of these gorgeous fish this afternoon :)

My LFS have had them in stock for a month or so, so I know they've been quarantined etc :) and they're selling 12 for £11 !!!

They're eventually going to go in my 4'6", 210L tank along with 5/6 L134 plecs (same bio-type)

Will keep people posted how I get on with them!! :thumbs:

Finally got round to buying 12 of these fish from my LFS the other night on my way home from work!! ;)

They've settled in quite nicely :)

The colourings have already started to improve, and they look excellent against the black background I've got in my tank!!

So far, I haven't seen any aggresive behaviour from them, even at feeding time..... although they are very active when I feed them bloodworm !!! ;)

Andy

Come on!!!!! You know you want to get danios......... :hey:

Since I posted in this thread I have seen brief darts to nip from my lemons. But the dart nip familiar to tetra owners that Lemons make are not the aggressive never give up mean spirited attacks that do the big damage. Still I don't know that I would put any of the larger tetras in with a Betta.

Since I took the serpaes out of my community tank my silver tips have grown back their little lobes on their fins. The cockatoos cruise around, as well as the little green neons. The whole tank has relaxed.

The black phantoms still dart at one another, the silver tips chase each other around the tank, but everyone has their tail fins. :D

So andyj how is that working out? When I got the lemons I didn't expect to like them as much as I do. I would take the silver tips, the glo-lights and the black phantoms out before I would the Lemons.

I too have Lemon Tetras and they're usually not too nippy...only a little when I introduce new fish to their tank and the new fish are always too fast for them.

andyj we are waiting to hear about the lemons. :/

Just to be annoyingly contradictory. I find silvertips to be much more nippy than lemons. They race around chasing each other's tails. But the silvertip are smaller, so their nip isn't bad, and they are mainly chasing silvertips.

Thing is since I took the serpaes out everyone has their tail. The silvertips are the first to show battle scars because their little silver globes disappear. Right now without the serpaes the little globes are all growing back, even though the silvertips chase each other around the tanks in long Steve McQueen chase scenes.

I have one two spot who is larger, but he is alone and doesn't seem very aggressive. He's about the size of an adult bleeding heart. I hear the Congos and some of those are aggressive and have avoided them. The serpaes were recommended as a community fish. They are alright with LOTS of room and no competion. At least they aren't trying to compete with my new BN in quarantine. :look:

Most reactions

Back