Lemon tetra fries

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It's a good idea to remove the adults so they don't eat the babies.

Good on you for breeding tetras :)

It's a good idea to remove the adults so they don't eat the babies.

Good on you for breeding tetras :)
Always wonder why they has been weird behavior lately with adult tetras where they doesn't move and eat much.

Should I turn off the canister filter? is 450 liters/h flow rate too much?

Remove the power filter from the baby tank otherwise it will suck them up. Use an air operated sponge filter with the babies and have lots of plants in with them.

These guys are now big enough to look after themselves just keep on doing what you are doing.

Adult fish don't want to eat their young. So just let them be.
Not entirely correct.
A lot of fish will snack on their own eggs and fry in the small confinement of a tank.
Hidingplaces (plants) are a must in lot of cases in which fish don't care for there young but scatter their eggs around.

Great to have fry in a tank !!! Lemons are so awesome.

Not entirely correct.
A lot of fish will snack on their own eggs and fry in the small confinement of a tank.
Hidingplaces (plants) are a must in lot of cases in which fish don't care for there young but scatter their eggs around.

Great to have fry in a tank !!! Lemons are so awesome.
They are purely opportunists. No animal wants to eat their own young. What is the point of producing offspring if all you do is eat them?

They are purely opportunists. No animal wants to eat their own young. What is the point of producing offspring if all you do is eat them?
As said in nature circumstances are completely different. The parents won't "meet" their eggs and fry hardly.

I believe you bred several species. Did you never need to protect eggs / fry from their parents. You've been quite lucky then !

Quite sure that in the books of which you wrote about there are several techniques to do so.

As said in nature circumstances are completely different. The parents won't "meet" their eggs and fry hardly.

I believe you bred several species. Did you never need to protect eggs / fry from their parents. You've been quite lucky then !

Quite sure that in the books of which you wrote about there are several techniques to do so.
I used to use all the old school methods of breeding fish and remove the adult fish etc.etc. Later on I decided it was better not to do this, but to set tanks up that were large enough to accommodate adult and fry. After all the fry need to be put in large grow out tanks anyhow. A couple of good examples of this is the Silver Dollars. Also, the WCMM, their fry only stay on the surface of the tank away from the parents, if I bred them in a small tank you would never see this behavior, but since I started with just 6 fish in a 250 liter tank it was possible to observe this. I raise about 200 fish a year out of that tank. Without moving any of the fish.

livebearers be like: 😳"lemme pretend i didnt see that"
If with live bearers you completely cover the surface of the tank with something like Cabomba the adult fish will swim under that and the fry will be completely protected, live bearers are on group of fish I would never remove the fry from the adults

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back