Led Strips

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I am looking to buy some LED strips from someone 2nd hand. But he said this:

Quote: Have them rigged up to household 12 volt transformer that obviously runs off 240.

What the heck does that mean? Dont they have plugs?

No they dont tend to have plugs.
They need a 12v transformer to drop the voltage from 240v to 12v or the lights would blow.
The transformer will have the plug on.
Sounds fine to me just make sure they have done a proper job of wiring them.

Weeza, what sort of LEDs? If aquarays, they have a box called a PSI, which is needed to run them if cheap moonlights, like the daleboy said they need a transformer

If you don't have corals then they'll be fine with a transformer, but if not avoid them, the LED's are of poor quality generally and they aren't very powerful, if you want a decent LED unit then build your own, you can use high power LED's to create a rig that costs a fraction of the price of some aquarium specific units.

I will still have my halides running just wanted red leds for nite time and blues for an hour after halides go off.
I have no idea about doing my own

I will still have my halides running just wanted red leds for nite time and blues for an hour after halides go off.
I have no idea about doing my own

The cheap strip lights are fine for this purpose - but dont buy second hand, they are cheap as chips new and you will get everything you need :good:

Oh really? He wants 15 posted for 2 strips a metre each

I was looking at the red ones of these myself - I am assuming this guy would probably cut to order - you just then need to add the 12 v adapter which is approx £7. Having had cheap leds in the past, I would not buy second hand!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-Aquarium-48-LED-Light-Moonlight-Strip-Fish-Tank-BLUE-/200580026272?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb3804fa0

However if they are not second hand, ask how far apart the leds are fitted before commiting - the adaptor your require is on the page above as well :good:

Ahhh now Im a tad confused. So I buy a strip of lights then a transformer, one for each strip? So I would need 4 transformers as I want a strip of blue and red on each side of the tank! so thats £28 just for the transformers?

I cant see the adapters on that ebay page seffie though only the strips?

I wish I wasn't so stupid with this stuff!

Ahhh now Im a tad confused. So I buy a strip of lights then a transformer, one for each strip? So I would need 4 transformers as I want a strip of blue and red on each side of the tank! so thats £28 just for the transformers?

I cant see the adapters on that ebay page seffie though only the strips?

I wish I wasn't so stupid with this stuff!
or you could use an old mobile phone charger i believe. but if it were me i would search a little harder and find the strips that come with a transformer supplied.very easy to find http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Waterproof-72-LED-Strip-Light-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-UK-/360378773968?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item53e83fb1d0 there you go!!! :good:

the ones you are looking at are for cars etc i just put in ebay search for aquarium led strips

Funny enough I was looking at those after looking at the other link. Maybe I will give it all a miss as it really is confusing me haha, how do I even connect then to the tank?

As long as they are water proof they are fine, so just find the best deal, which all aready has a transformer. You can attach them in many ways, silicone, glue, those sticky pad things..........

Honest Weeza, it is easy peasy

i have the blue ones in my hood and are very good u can use anything to attacth them

i have the blue ones in my hood and are very good u can use anything to attacth them

I used a blue cold cathode tube(available on ebay), with a 12v adjustable amperage adapter from Maplin.
Easy to wire up, and good effect in my sons tank!!

Alan

Most reactions

Back