Leaving fish for a couple days

christine

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My fish always seem to die when I leave for a few days? I will be gone for a couple days, so what do I do? Should I put in an ammonia correcting tablet before I go, just in case it rises? I just set up a 10 gallon tank w/ 2 platies 1 molly. :unsure:
Thanx
How much water should I change? 1/2? Also, I just added 1/2 the amount of salt recommended for the freshwater livebearers a couple days ago. How do you add that back in the water change? Should I change any of the filter media when I go? And, lastly, how many days before I go should I not feed them? I leave on the 7th, I think. Should I put in one of those food release things, and then also should I turn the light off. Thanx a lot. :sad:

Oh dear - an un-cycled tank and you need to go away? I'm not sure what I'd do. Perhaps a big water change before you go and pray? Don't feed them for a few days - that'll help keep the ammonia down.

I don't know why your ammonia levels would rise in the few days you were gone. Most ammonia fixers (like ammo-lock) merely change the ammonia to something that is less harmful. No chemical can stop ammonia from forming its a natural fish waste product. I would be more concerned about the tank staying at constant temperature and making sure the filter is on. And don't leave anyone in charge of feeding your fish cuz they will probably feed them too much (which actually would lead to an ammonia spike).

Most reactions

Back