learned something today... Plecos ( Loracarid ) are unique to south & central America???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Magnum Man

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
surprised there are no varieties in Africa or Asia???

I know Asia has loaches including some Hillstream, that have sucker mouths, does Africa or Australia have any sucker mouth catfish

Last edited:
There are sucker types in Africa, but they aren't in the Loracarid family. The sucker mouth evolved independently many times. It works in fast water.

As far as I know, Australian, like Asia, has escaped and thriving Loracarid species, but they are because of incompetent or stupid aquarists.

I found this kind of interesting...
These are basically "African Plecos" that aren't Loracardid
not seen any for sale anywhere, but cool, none the less...

found a listing for one on Wet Spot, of course out of stock... ( still kind of thinking about an African tank, in the back of my mind )

Last edited:
You get things like Siamese Algae Eaters and Chinese Algae Eaters - quite a few in that group that sort of look similar. Some of the smaller gobies are worth a mention like Stiphodons and Sicyopus as they behave in a similar way.

Wills

I don't personally have Siamese or Chinese algae eaters... but I have Ottos also, but I think those are also from south America???

I have a couple Flying Foxes, assume they are Asian, & they have sucker mouths ( not sure what classification they fall into???

I seemed to have a knack for catching Phractura sp in Gabon. I didn't bring any back, but they kept showing up in my net. Nice little current loving fish.

The niche exists everywhere water flows, and a lot of families of fish have independently evolved sucker mouths. South America has a wonderfully diverse bunch, but where there are rocks with food on them, and flowing water, there's a body form that works.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back